This creamy Southern Ham Salad spread is tangy and has just a hint of sweetness from the sweet pickle relish. It’s been served as a spread on crackers, celery ribs or turned into a quick sandwich using leftover ham in Southern kitchens and by my family, for decades. You can bet every version of this simple ham spread is made unique with every Southern cook having their own little twist in flavors to make it their own.
Tried And True
Old school cook’s would have run leftover ham through a meat grinder until it’s the right consistency. I use my food processor fitted with a steel chopping blade and it works like a charm. My family has always included egg as an ingredient so I do the same. If you’re not sure, you may try one or two eggs until you get to your sweet spot in taste. Again, it all comes down to how you were taught to make it and can be adjusted to your personal taste.
Refrigerator Salads And Spreads
Just like egg salad and pimento cheese ham salad is a fantastic refrigerator salad to have handy on days there’s no time to cook. It’s also super nice for keeping the family happy when they want just a little something to hold them over until dinner and for me, that’s always a win. Other leftover ham recipes to try are these party perfect Ham and Cheese Pinwheels and Ham Puffs.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Southern Ham Salad
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp minced celery
- 1 Tbsp minced sweet onion
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 lb ham coarsely ground
- 3 large hard boiled eggs chopped
- Buns and lettuce crackers or celery ribs for serving
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, Dijon, celery, onion, Dijon, honey, onion powder, lemon pepper, garlic powder and garlic salt.
- Fold in the chopped ham and eggs. Mix well.
- Chill until serving on rolls with lettuce or as a spread for crackers and celery.