This kickin’ Shrimp Salad Recipe is perfection for quick meals and snacking. In it, tender cooked shrimp is dressed with a creamy homemade lemon dill dressing. It’s embellished with celery, red bell pepper and red onion to enhance the flavor. Topped with a sprinkling of fresh dill it’s fantastic served as an appetizer, on croissants and crostini or turned into lettuce wraps for quick meals.
Easy Kickin’ Shrimp Salad Recipe
Seafood salads are super simple to make, but are sometimes thought of as a dining out treat. Seafood can be pricey for everyday meals, I totally understand. That said, when I can get my hands on fresh shrimp at a great price, it’s a thrill to turn it into some our family favorite dishes. There’s nothing more satisfying to my family than a fun shrimp boil , cole slaw topped crispy shrimp rolls or homemade shrimp and grits for supper. I never have to announce that supper is ready twice. Shrimp salad can be dressed up or down according to your taste and the simple preparation makes it suitable for busy day meals. How to make simple Shrimp Salad: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Boil Seasoned Water – Add the water, seafood seasoning and salt to a deep pot. Bring to a boil.
- Shrimp – Add the shrimp. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp are opaque and the shells turn pink. Remove from the heat and drain in a colander. Peel and cool.
- Dressing – In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, dill, vinegar, seafood seasoning, garlic salt, pepper and hot sauce until fully combined.
- Combine – Add the shrimp, celery, red pepper, onion and hot sauce. Mix until evenly coated.
- Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Serve on crackers, buns, lettuce or celery for snacking.
How to Make the Best Shrimp Salad Recipe
I like to make my own shrimp for homemade shrimp salad as is reflected in this recipe. Should you choose to, you could adapt this recipe with cooked shrimp using the same amount.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for Shrimp Salad: ! 1/2 pounds raw shell on shrimp, deveined, 2 quarts of water, seafood seasoning and salt. Bring water to boil adding seafood seasoning and salt. Add shrimp cooking for 3-5 minutes just until lightly pink. Drain in a colander and cool, then peel.
- For the Shrimp Salad dressing you’ll need: Mayonnaise, Dijon or Creole mustard, lemon juice, fresh dil, seafood seasoning, white wine or rice wine vinegar, garlic, salt, black pepper or lemon pepper. Add a few dashes of hot sauce to your taste.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Large pot, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board and large bowl.
- To the bowl add the cooled and peeled shrimp with the diced celery, minced red onion and red bell pepper. Mix well then place into an airtight container and refrigerator for 3-4 hours to let the flavors marry.
- Serve shrimp salad on rolls, as a lettuce wrap or on a bed of lettuce as a light meal.
- Store leftover shrimp salad thoroughly chilled for up to 3 days.
More Southern Style Shrimp Recipes to Make
Shrimp seems to be one of our go-to seafood meals to make at home. It cooks quickly and is readily available either fresh, frozen and cooked. More shrimp recipes you may like to try:
- My Kickin’ Shrimp Dip is ideal for summer and holiday entertaining served with crackers or crostini.
- You’ll love my Shrimp Po’Boy Recipe for dinner and entertaining.
- Give wings a break and enjoy this Buffalo Shrimp Recipe, instead. It packs a ton of flavor and they’re fun to eat!
- Easy Cajun seasoned Air Fryer Shrimp cook in no time flat.
- My recipe for Shrimp Fried Rice is certain to become a favorite.
- Throw down a homestyle shrimp boil any night of the week with this Slow Cooker Shrimp Boil.
- Handheld Shrimp Fritters from Rasa Malaysia for parties and small bite gatherings.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Shrimp Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb large raw shell on shrimp deveined
- 2 Quarts water
- 2 tsp seafood seasoning (i.e. Seafood Magic or Old Bay)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp Creole or Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tsp white wine or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp seafood seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced red onion or shallots
- Few dashes hot sauce
- Add the water, seafood seasoning and salt to a deep pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp are opaque and the shells turn pink. Remove from the heat and drain in a colander. Peel and cool.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, dill, vinegar, seafood seasoning, garlic salt, pepper and hot sauce until fully combined.
- Add the shrimp, celery, red pepper, onion and hot sauce. Mix until evenly coated.
- Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Serve on crackers, buns, lettuce or celery for snacking..