This super simple Shrimp Dip Recipe is packed with flavor. It can be enjoyed as an appetizer with crackers, crostini and pita chips or as a spread for croissants and sandwiches.
Easy Shrimp Dip Recipe
This shrimp dip recipe is one that always delights seafood fans. While Southerners may be well know for their love of shrimp and grits or shrimp roll po’boys, many would likely say that they love shrimp in any form. A low country shrimp boil for example, is party food at it’s finest. Shrimp recipes find their way onto appetizer, holiday and dinner menus all across the South and not just in the warm summer months. You’d be likely to find shrimp on the menu at holiday parties and weddings, too. How do you make creamy Shrimp Dip with canned shrimp:
- Shrimp – One 4 ounce can fully cooked shrimp.
- Dressing – Chive and onion cream cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce and chili sauce.
- Seasonings – Seafood seasoning (i.e. Seafood Magic, Old Bay), granulated garlic or garlic powder, onion powder and lemon pepper.
- Mix-ins – Red bell pepper, green onions and chives for garnishing.
- Serving Suggestions – Assorted crackers, pita chips, crostini or bread for serving.
How to Make the BEST Shrimp Dip Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Shrimp Dip: Cream cheese, mayonnaise, chili sauce (i.e. Heinz or similar), cooked shrimp, red bell pepper, seafood seasoning, granulated garlic, onion powder, green onions, hot sauce, fresh chives plus crackers, chips or vegetables for serving.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, hand mixer, sharp knife and cutting board, silicone spatula.
- Please note: The shrimp for this recipe are already cooked. Should you like to prepare your own shrimp, you can. To do so, saute in butter or oil in a nonstick pan just until lightly pink then cool completely and chop. Be careful, shrimp can overcook easily and become chewy if allowed to cook too long.
- The chili sauce used in this recipe isn’t a spicy Asian chili sauce. It’s like Heinz chili sauce or a similar private label store brand will work. It’s usually found on the condiment aisle with ketchup.
- Allow at least 2 hours for the dip to chill to give ample time for the flavors to marry. If time allows, overnight is even better.
- This is one of the few times that small shrimp work best. Roughly chopped, they give this dip just the right texture for serving.
- When serving this shrimp at an outdoor activity, keep it chilled in a bowl of ice, if possible.
- Adjust the kick in this dip to your taste by adding or decreasing the amount of hot sauce.
- Enjoy this shrimp dip as an appetizer with crackers, pita chips or crostini or as a sandwich spread.
- You can also serve fresh vegetables on the side such as celery, bell pepper or carrots.
- You may also enjoy my recipe for homemade kickin’ Shrimp Salad.
More Easy Dip Recipes to Make
- Easy Dill Pickle Dip.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Dip is always a hit!
- Million Dollar Dip is filled with bacon, toasted almonds and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Baked Three Cheesesteak Dip is a riff on classic cheesesteaks with plenty of gooey cheese to go around.
- Baked Mexican Fiesta Dip is ready for dipping with vegetables or tortilla chips.
- Cheesy Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip is a classic that everyone loves.
- Light and fresh Cucumber Dill Dip.
- Beer Cheese Dip from Wonky Wonderful.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Shrimp Dip Recipe
- 1 8 oz container chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chili sauce (i.e. Heinz)
- 1 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning (i.e. Seafood Magic, Old Bay)
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- few dashes hot sauce adjust to taste
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper finely diced (Reserve some for garnishing, if desired)
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 4 oz tiny cooked shrimp roughly chopped
- chopped chives for garnishing optional
- assorted crackers, pita chips, crostini or bread for serving
- Using an electric mixer, whip together the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, chili sauce, seafood seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and lemon pepper. Whip for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add a few dashes of hot sauce, adjusting the level of heat to your taste.
- By hand, fold in red bell pepper, green onion and shrimp mixing until fully combined.
- Transfer to an airtight container to chill for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
- Serve with crackers or pita chips as an appetizer or as a sandwich spread garnished with additional red pepper and chives, if desired.