This easy homemade Limeade Recipe is light and refreshing. Serve it over plenty of ice for a spectacular cool down after a bustling day or as the featured drink for your next backyard barbecue.
Easy Limeade Recipe
What limes do you use to make limeade? When it comes to using limes as an ingredient the question usually comes up as to which limes are best to use. Key limes are the gold standard for making key lime pie, cakes and cookies but for this recipe, it's not necessary to go that route. Unless, you simply want to. Kaffir limes are typically used in Asian cooking and are fragrant but will yield less juice making them a poor choice for making limeade. The limes most often found in the produce departments of most grocery stores are Persian limes. They yield a good amount of juice and the zest is fragrant making them my top choice for making homemade limeade.
How to Make the Best Homemade Limeade Recipe
When do you serve limeade? You can serve it at picnics, birthday parties, informal backyard gatherings and barbecues with the family. You could even adapt this recipe and turn it into an adult drink, if you're so inclined.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Limeade: Freshly squeezed lime juice (using Persian limes) , granulated sugar, filtered water or sparkling water and lime slices for serving.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A 2 quart heavy bottomed saucepan to make the simple syrup, measuring cups, a large wooden spoon, 32 ounce pitcher, citrus juicer, sharp knife and cutting board.
- You can make this limeade using filtered water, sparkling water or tap water.
- Clean the limes prior to squeezing and slicing to place into the limeade to prevent any sort of contamination.
- If you'd like it to be carbonated go with sparkling water added to the limeade just before serving. Follow the recipe and make the base or concentrated limeade and place it into a pitcher and chill until serving. It's fine to go ahead and add the 2 cups of lime juice to the simple syrup. Chill the sparkling water separately and add it to the pitcher along with lime slices and ice just before serving to maintain the carbonation.
- You can also add one cup of pineapple juice to the mix for a doubly fruity drink we call pineapple limeade.
- You can turn this into an adult beverage by adding your favorite liquor such as gin, vodka or tequila.
- Store leftover limeade covered and chilled in the refrigerator for up to one week.
More Southern Style Drink Recipes to Make
When it comes to quenching your thirst, I have many choices to suit your fancy and depending on the occasion you're planning. More delicious family friendly drink recipes you may like to try:
- Sparkling Berry Lemonade is filled with fresh sweet berries.
- Peach Ice Tea is a must-make during peach season.
- Easy Frozen Strawberry Lime Margaritas can be made with or without tequila.
- Homemade Lemonade is sheer perfection.
- Southern Sweet Tea is the perfect way to wash down all of your Southern favorites.
- Watermelon Slush from Joyous Apron.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Simple Syrup:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 4 cups filtered water (or sparkling water)
- 2 cups fresh lime juice
- 2 medium limes thinly sliced
- ice, additional lime and mint for serving
- To make simple syrup: On the stovetop in a small saucepan over medium high heat mix together sugar, 1 cup water and ½ cup lime juice. Heat, stirring until sugar has fully dissolved, then remove from heat.
- To make limeade: Add simple syrup to a 32 ounce or 1 gallon pitcher with 4 cups water, 2 reserved cups lime juice and sliced lime. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, add ice and serve with additional lime slices and mint for garnishing, if desired.