This simple tutorial is a tried and true meal prep hack straight from my kitchen to yours. This is the technique I use for preparing Make Ahead Ground Beef for Freezing. I cook it on a day when I have extra time to cook a large batch of seasoned beef then pack it up and freeze it for busy day meals.
Make Ahead Ground Beef for Freezing
Are you a bargain shopper? I'm a proud penny pincher and I'm constantly looking for ways to save money and time when it comes to my grocery budget and weekly meal prep. It occurred to me one busy afternoon while preparing to brown ground beef for sloppy joes, that many of my ground beef recipes begin the same way with olive oil, diced onion and garlic seasoned beef. So, I began making cooked beef in large batches lightly seasoned, knowing that half of the work was done for busier days when there's little time to plan and cook.
Helpful Tips for Making Ground Beef to Freeze
While I love eating out on occasion like anyone else, I don't think it should be your "go to" meal plan on busy days. By taking time to prepare portions of your meals in advance you can keep both your grocery and eating out budget on track.
- To make make ahead ground beef, start with quality lean ground beef.
- Season and cook with diced sweet onion for an added layer of flavor.
- Cool cooked beef and separate into individual meal prep portions. When preparing this ground beef to freeze, you can separate it into any amount you'd like to suit the size of your family.
- I choose to separate it into 2 cup portions knowing that if I need more for a recipe, I can easily pull two packages out for transforming it into a meal.
- Toss frozen beef it into a skillet and it thaws in minutes, adding seasonings and sauce for the recipe you're making.
- Freeze in freezer safe bags or containers of your choice.
Ways to Use Make Ahead Beef
On a hectic day pull a pack or two, from the freezer and you're ready to make smokey joes, chili spaghetti, Shepherd's pie and many other ground beef casseroles and meals that suit your fancy. Doing so will save you time and money on those days you may be tempted to order out. You may also like this freezer friendly Ground Beef Tacos from Carlsbad Cravings. Visit my recipe index for more scrumptious ways to enjoy ground beef here.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Make Ahead Ground Beef For Freezing
- 1 jumbo onion small dice (Or 2 large onions)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 teaspoon garlic salt Roughly 1 tsp/pound
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil. Add the diced onion and cook over medium-high until softened about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, garlic salt and black pepper to the pan. Cook the meat over medium-high until no pink remains around 12-15 minutes.
- Drain all excess fat from the pan, then add the Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 2 minutes stirring to fully distribute.
- Remove from the heat and spread onto a large paper towel lined baking sheet. Place into the fridge to cool.
- Divide the cooled beef and package into quart size plastic freezer bags, 2 cups per bag and label.
- Press flat, seal and freeze.