Skip the buns and make this family-style Sloppy Joes Stuffed Bread, instead. Add a side of chips and it’s dinner-time in no time flat.
Easy Sloppy Joes Stuffed Bread Recipe
There seems to always be spirited debate about the origin of some of our most beloved foods. Sloppy Joes are believed to be a spinoff of the oh-so-yummy Mid-Western loose meat sandwich. Possibly, named after it’s creator named Joe. There are several other folklore theories, even one including Earnest Hemmingway. Not kidding. You can read more about who really invented sloppy joes on Chowhound. Regardless of the origin, sloppy joes are a simple and inexpensive tummy filling meal for families on a budget.
How to Make the BEST Sloppy Joes Stuffed Bread Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make Sloppy Joes Stuffed Bread: One loaf French or Italian bread, ground beef, onion, olive oil, tomato sauce, ketchup, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, onion, worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic, garlic powder, paprika, sliced colby jack cheese, yellow mustard and brown sugar.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Skillet, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, sheet pan and large spoon.
- For this recipe, I used a fluffy 18 inch long, French bread baguette from my local grocery store bakery.
- Use lean ground beef, and don’t skip draining excess fat from the pan for the best end result. Ground turkey, ground pork and ground chicken in the same amount will work beautifully, too.
- The cheese forms the edible “glue” holding the sloppy joe filling in place. I use sliced cheese, but you can certainly use shredded. You’ll need 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- You can also use a different flavor of cheese. Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese or pepper jack to add a little spice to the flavor profile.
- The sloppy joes filling can be prepared in advance and chilled to expedite assembly. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
- The yield for this dish can vary depending on how you slice it. For game day eats, 1 inch slices works perfectly. For dinner, cut into the size needed to feed your hungry crowd.
- Store baked Sloppy Joes Stuffed Bread wrapped in foil chilled in the refrigerator. Reheat in single servings in the microwave, air fryer or 350°F oven.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes to Make
- If you’re a fan of BBQ checkout my recipe for Smokey Joes.
- Comfort filled Hamburger Steak is always a family pleasing option for supper.
- Enchilada Casserole for fiesta night at home.
- Casual meals and tailgating Sloppy Joe Pizza Sliders.
- Ground Beef Stroganoff served over noodles or mashed potatoes.
- If you’d like to get a jump on meal prep, see how to make ground beef for freezing in advance.
- Cheesy Nacho Beef Rotini Skillet can be topped with your favorite nacho fixings.
- One Pot Hamburger Helper from the Recipe Rebel.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sloppy Joes Stuffed Bread
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper or poblano pepper
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar adjust to taste
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 18 inch fluffy French bread loaf
- 10 slices colby jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment, If using foil, spritz lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large deep 12 inch skillet cook ground beef, red pepper and green pepper in a few drizzles of olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Add garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Lower heat to medium. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar, seasoned salt, paprika, pepper and granulated garlic. Mix until combined. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until blended. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, slice bread in half. Remove some of inside of each half. (Freeze for use with another recipe.)
- To assemble: Arrange 5 slices of cheese on bottom piece of bread. Spread with sloppy joe beef. Top with remaining cheese, placing second piece of bread on top.
- Lay a piece of foil loosley on top. Bake for 20 minutes then remove baking uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
- You may thicken the sloppy joes with tomato paste 1 Tbsp at a time at the end of cooking, if desired.
- Depending on how you slice this bread, yield may vary. As an appetizer, 1 inch slices work well.
- The sloppy joes filling can be prepared in advance and chilled to expedite assembly.