This sweet Mexican Hot Chocolate is a delicious way to warm-up on chilly days. Make the mixture in advance then store it in the cupboard and it’s ready for a sweet and spicy treat to drink when you’re in the mood for a pick-me-up!
Easy Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
This simple recipe is one you can have in your pantry ready to make a cup of hot cocoa anytime you like. How do you make Mexican Hot Chocolate. (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Whisk Together – In a large mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together the confectioners’ sugar, powdered milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, grated chocolate, cornstarch, cinnamon, slat and chili powder together until well combined.
- Store in an Airtight Container – Transfer the hot cocoa mix to an airtight container or jar.
- To Prepare Mexican Hot Chocolate:
- Use about ¼ of a cup of powder per 1 cup of warm milk or boiling water.
- Pour milk or water over the hot cocoa mix. Stir well until the powder has dissolved and hot cocoa is smooth and creamy.
- Optional: you can top your hot cocoa with a sprinkle of cinnamon, marshmallows, chocolate chips or whipped cream.
How to Make the BEST Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Mexican Hot Chocolate: Unsweetened cocoa powder, powdered sugar, finely grated bittersweet chocolate, milk powder, cinnamon, chili powder (optional) and salt.
- For serving Mexican Hot Chocolate: Garnish with whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips or grated chocolate, ground cinnamon for dusting or cinnamon sticks for stirring.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Measuring cups and spoons, large mixing bowl, fine mesh sifter, whisk and airtight container.
- You can adjust the sweetness of the hot chocolate mix by controlling the amount of powdered sugar in the mix. This is completely subjective. Remember, you can always add more when you prepare a fresh cup of hot chocolate.
- For dairy-free option, consider using powdered coconut milk instead of powdered
- Salt intensifies the chocolate flavor and balance the sweetness. You can adjust the amount as desired but don’t omit altogether.
- Bittersweet chocolate will lend a depth of flavor to the hot cocoa. Think finely grated not long shreds so it will fully melt more easily.
- Taking the time to sift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar before mixing them together will prevent lumps in the mix. You can do this with a fine mesh sieve, a flour sifter or a whisk.
- Adjust the recipe to suit your taste preferences. You can add flavors like nutmeg or a splash of vanilla to your cup of hot chocolate.
- Store Mexican Hot Chocolate in an airtight container or jar in a cool and dry place for up to 2 months.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes to Make
- This Crockpot Hot Chocolate is perfect for holidays and game day.
- Spring Hot Chocolate Bombs are a fun treat to add to Easter baskets.
- Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge Sauce can be drizzled over ice cream, cake or used as a dip for fruit.
- Fill these Edible Chocolate Bowls with ice cream, mousse, pudding, whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- Double Chocolate Cheesecake is the ideal way to say “I love you.”
- Homemade Triple Chocolate Pudding is just like my Mom used to make.
- Triple Chocolate Cake Pops from Ghiradelli.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely grated
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp dark chili powder (optional)
- Toppings: Whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate syrup, chocolate chips, cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the confectioners' sugar, powdered milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, grated bittersweet chocolate, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and chili powder together until well combined.
- Transfer the hot cocoa mix to an airtight container or jar. (If using immediately omit the cornstarch.)
- To Prepare Mexican Hot Chocolate:1. Use about ¼ of a cup of powder per 1 cup of warm milk or boiling water.2. Pour milk or water over the hot cocoa mix. Stir well until the powder has dissolved and hot cocoa is smooth and creamy.3. Top your hot cocoa with a sprinkle of cinnamon, marshmallows, chocolate chips or whipped cream.