When it comes to chocolate, in my opinion, too much of a good thing is, well, wonderful. So, in this recipe I chose to use a triple chocolate combination flavor. I especially like to serve it with fresh berries, and a Pepperidge Farm chocolate raspberry cookie as a garnish.
Silky homemade triple chocolate pudding is only a few steps away and you may have everything you need in your pantry right now. Run don’t walk to the kitchen.
Homemade Triple Chocolate Pudding
- 3 cups half & half plus 3 Tbsp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 x-large egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- pinch of salt
- fresh sweetened whipped cream
- raspberries and cookies for garnishing
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat mix together 3 cups of half & half and 1 cup of sugar. Cook just until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the chocolate chips. Stir until melted.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder. Lower the heat and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the cocoa powder is fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 4 x-large egg yolks. Slowly add 1/4 cup of the hot half & half mixture to the egg yolks to temper them. Stir well. [The process of tempering allows you to gently warm the egg yolks prior to adding them to the hot liquid; preventing them from becoming scrambled and making the pudding stringy.]
- Slowly pour the tempered eggs, into the chocolate, whisking constantly over medium heat.
- Dissolve 3 tablespoons of cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of half & half to make a slurry.
- Drizzle into the chocolate and immediately you'll see it begin to thicken.
- Continue to simmer over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until it reaches the desired thickness, whisking constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Test the texture of the pudding. If the eggs or cornstarch caused any lumps use a spatula to press the pudding through a mesh strainer into a clean bowl to remove the lumps..
- The pudding can be served immediately warm, or if chilling prior to serving, cover the pudding with plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming on top.
- Place into the refrigerator to chill.
- To serve, divide evenly into serving dishes.
- Dollop with sweetened whipped cream and garnish with fresh berries, if desired.