This easy Crockpot Hot Chocolate is a rich and indulgent way to warm up on chilly days. Top it with marshmallows, or whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and enjoy.
Easy Crockpot Hot Chocolate Recipe
So, how did hot chocolate originate? It’s believed that chocolate itself dates back as far as 500 BC. The Mayans indulged in a bitter version, consisting of cocoa beans ground together with chili peppers and cornmeal then thinned with water for drinking. While that’s quite a bit different than the sweetened hot chocolate we enjoy today, it shows just how many different cultures worldwide have fallen in love with chocolate using it in various ways. Hot chocolate was introduced to America by the Dutch in the 18th century. It continues to evolve with many variations of hot chocolate being consumed both here, and all over the world. You can read more about the history of hot chocolate on The Spruce Eats. How to make easy slow cooker Hot Chocolate:
- Milk – This recipe uses three kinds of milk. Whole milk, whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk.
- Chocolate – Semi sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips can be used.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – To balance and expand the flavor profile.
- Toppings – Whipped cream, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, mini marshmallows, sprinkles or a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa powder.
How to Make the Best Crockpot Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Crockpot Hot Chocolate: Whole milk, whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, semi sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips, vanilla extract plus chocolate syrup, whipped cream and marshmallows for serving.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, measuring cups and spoons, large stirring spoon, plus mugs and a ladle for serving.
- How do you make Crockpot Hot Chocolate: It couldn’t be easier! Pour milk, whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and vanilla extract into a slow cooker. Cover and simmer on low for 2 hours stirring halfway through. Ladle into mugs and enjoy!
- You can make this hot chocolate with semi sweet or milk chocolate chips in the same amount. Use a good quality chocolate for the best meltability. Is that a word? If not, it should be.
- If possible, it’s helpful to give it a whisk halfway through cooking to blend the ingredients together. If time doesn’t allow this, always give it a good whisk once it’s done and just before serving.
- Have an assortment of toppings available for everyone to choose their favorites. Toppings such as marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, chocolate shavings or grated chocolate, and ground cinnamon.
- To turn this into adult hot chocolate add a splash of bourbon, whiskey, peppermint schnapps, Kahlua coffee liqueur, Frangelico (a hazelnut flavored liqueur) vanilla vodka or rum.
- Non-alcoholic additions to consider are; cinnamon and caramel syrup or a shot of espresso.
- You may also enjoy topping this with Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows.
- Store Crockpot Hot Chocolate chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave in single serving portions.
More Chocolate Sweet Treats to Make
There are many chocolate recipes right here in the Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen Recipe Index. A few quick and easy options you may enjoy to try:
- Hot Fudge Sauce for dipping fruit or drizzling over a bowl of ice cream.
- Edible Chocolate Bowls are adorable plus they allow your guests to eat the bowl after enjoying pudding, custards, ice cream, yogurt and more!
- Death by Chocolate Eclair Cake is a no bake sensation.
- Fudgy Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts.
- Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Bars topped with a chocolate swirl.
- Best Chocolate Cake Recipe is perfect for any occasion.
- Make your own Hot Chocolate Mix to share with friends and family.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 14.5 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped cream and mini marshmallows for serving
- grated chocolate, cocoa, chocolate syrup or ground cinnamon for dusting tops
- In a crockpot stir to combine milk, whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, whisking halfway through. Simmer until chocolate has melted and cocoa is hot.
- Serve with assorted toppings: mini marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, grated chocolate or ground cinnamon for dusting.
- To turn this into adult hot chocolate add a splash of bourbon, whiskey, peppermint schnapps, kahlua coffee liqueur, frangelico (a hazelnut flavored liqueur) vanilla vodka or rum.
- Non-alcoholic additions to consider are cinnamon and caramel syrup or a shot of espresso.