This buttery Toffee Pecan Brown Sugar Shortbread is an absolute delight to make and enjoy. The brown sugar dough naturally caramelizes while baking and the toffee bits melt to add a praline flavor to the pecan laced crumbs. It's a sweet treat you would expect to pay top dollar for in a sweet shop, but quite easily made at home using a fluted tart pan. Enjoy it with a cup of iced coffee, cappuccino, frappe or a steamy cup of hot tea. It's a moment meant to be savored. Sharing is optional.
Brown Sugar shortbread and the Beloved Southern Pecan
While it's no secret we love pecans in the South, it's not a fleeting feeling, it's a bonefide love affair. Pecan trees are revered and grown in Georgia the leading state in the nation for pecans, in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Pecans are also grown in many other states such as California, Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri, Hawaii, Tennessee, South Carolina and even here in my home state of North Carolina. One thing is for certain, we'll take them anyway we can get them. The debate is never how much we love them but, rather how to pronounce the name. Is it Pee-khon or Puh-khan? Then there's Pee-can, which always raises eyebrows and starts lively debates about why that is, or isn't, an acceptable way to refer to such a beloved nut. It always makes me laugh out loud. For me, I just love to eat pecans and in this delightful shortbread they are simply divine.
A Fluted Tart Pan is the Tool of Choice for Shortbread
One thing that isn't up for debate is a fluted tart pan. It's the very best option and makes such a pretty presentation.
- For this rich and buttery Toffee Pecan Brown Sugar Shortbread, I use a fluted tart pan with a removable bottom which makes the edges pretty, too.
- I recommend scoring the dough prior to baking for perfect placement of the whole pecans but, be aware that the lines will disappear while baking.
- It's a sweet treat that's a personal favorite and I hope you and your family enjoy it, too. You may also enjoy these Strawberry Shortbread Bars from Cookies and Cups.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Toffee Pecan Brown Sugar Shortbread
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoon cold butter cubed
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 16 whole pecans
- ¼ cup bits-o-brickle English toffee bits
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly spritz the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or regular metal pie pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl mix together the flour and brown sugar.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut the cold butter into the flour until it resembles peas.
- Mix-in the chopped pecans, toffee bits and vanilla.
- Press firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Using a sharp knife or pastry wheel score the top into 16 wedges. (This helps with pecan placement)
- Gently press one whole pecan onto the outer end of each wedge.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and rest on a cooling rack. Allow to cool and set for 30 minutes.
- Remove the outer ring and use a long sharp knife to carefully cut into wedges while still warm.
- Cool completely.
- Store in a container tightly sealed at room temperature.