In my world, if the title of a recipe begins with butter and it’s immediately followed with pecans you know it’s going to be scrumptious. These Butter Pecan Cookies feature a buttery homemade cookie dough embellished with pecans and toffee bits. That combination turns these cookies into an out of this world snack with a glass of cold milk. A couple of Butter Pecan Cookies for a treat is the equivalent of angel food, in my book. It’s no secret that we love pecans in the South and any excuse to use them will do. Whether you’re baking for a special occasion or elbow deep in holiday baking these cookie won’t last long in your cookie jar.
Cookie Making Tips
For the best result, this cookie dough needs to be chilled before baking. Chilling the dough allows the butter to solidify which results in a chunky, thick and chewy cookie. If you bake these butter pecan cookies immediately after preparing the dough, the taste will be good but, they spread and become thin and crispy. It’s best to chill the dough for at least one hour which will yield a chewy cookie that’s crisp around the edges. If you’d like to go a step further, sprinkle the tops with additional toffee bits prior to baking to give the cookies a little extra toffee crunch.
Warm Butter Pecan Cookies
My favorite way to enjoy this cookie is slightly warm. The caramel flavor of the dough is rich and buttery and you can’t go wrong serving them warm.
- When using the freshest of dairy, you can keep this cookie dough in the fridge for up to 3 days prior to baking them for a great time saver and it freezes well, too. I bake these cookies for my family year-round.
- Take them up a level and serve them warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel for a butter pecan caramel sundae. That turns these cookies into a company worthy dessert.
- For more butter pecan goodies to love try this Butter Pecan Layer Cake from Taste of Home for a special weekend baking project.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Butter Pecan Cookies
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened [2 sticks]
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups roughly chopped pecan pieces
- 2/3 cup bits-o-brickle [English toffee bits]
- Additional bits-o-brickle for the tops [optional]
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the softened butter, light brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. until fluffy and light beige in color, around 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically. After all of the flour has been added beat for 1 minute.
- Mix-in the pecan pieces and bits-o-brickle by hand until evenly distributed in the dough. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- To bake: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a 2 oz ice cream scoop to divide the dough. Place onto the cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake in batches for 14-16 minutes or until golden. [Keep the dough chilled between batches.]
- Cool on the pan for 3 minutes then remove to a cooling rack.