This sour cream and onion smashed potato casserole is one of those recipes you’ll reach for over and over again. It just goes with everything so well and rounds out most any meal. It sort of celebrates the flavor combo of creamy sour cream with the tangy taste of onion and smothered potatoes. What could possibly be wrong with that? I particularly love it because it can be made in advance and chilled until I’m ready to bake it. There’s no meat in this dish so I can easily serve this when vegetarians are dining at my table and know they’ll be satisfied, too.
If made in advance, you’ll need to bring it to room temperature prior to baking or if you’re in a hurry add 10 minutes or so to the baking time. Have fun with the cheese using white or yellow cheddar, swiss, gruyere, muenster or whatever you have handy. This dish is low stress all the way around. At our house there’s no wrong cheese. Ever.
Keep in mind when smashing the potatoes you’ll need to leave some bite size chunks behind for the scrumptious texture of these smashed potatoes. When I want to top these with a crispy topping, I sprinkle crushed crush sour cream and onion potato chips over the cheese on top. So simple, tasty and tummy filling good it’s guaranteed there won’t be a spoonful left over.
- 16 medium red potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 (16 oz) sour cream
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika plus additional for dusting
- 3 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 6 green onion, thinly sliced
- In a large pot cover the potatoes with water. Season the water with with 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil cooking for 12-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain well.
- Add to a large mixing bowl and using a potato masher roughly smash the potatoes leaving chunky.
- Add the melted butter, light cream, sour cream and seasonings. Mix well.
- Fold in 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese and sliced green onion. Reserve some green onion for garnishing.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture into the dish. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and sprinkle with a light dusting of paprika.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Garnish with reserved chopped green onion just before serving..