Prepare to fall in love with this German Chocolate Pie filled with velvety chocolate, shredded coconut and pecans. It’s the same flavor combination we all love in classic German Chocolate Cake. Serve it for a special occasion or “just because” you want to show the dessert love to the special people in your life. It’s a bonefide treat every single time.
I’ve had this decadent pie on my “to do” list for some time and just got around to preparing and photographing it to add to the recipe index here on MSSK. If you love German chocolate cake, this pie is definitely for you. Variations are endless. I’ve seen some German Chocolate Pie recipes that use flour or corn syrup in the filling. I’ve made it several ways, but for me this pie works the best using cornstarch to bind the filling, with little fuss. As with the coconut-pecan icing I use for my German Chocolate Cake, I love mixing granulated sugar and brown sugar together for the depth of flavor it lends to the filling making it velvety smooth. Serve it with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or while still warm with a drizzle of chocolate and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
German Chocolate Pie
- 1  inch deep dish pie shell frozen, refrigerated or homemade
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1  oz package German chocolate chopped
- 1  oz can evaporated milk [not condensed]
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped and divided
- 1 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Fit the pie crust into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt together the butter and German chocolate. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and add the milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla and salt. Whisk until fully combined then Gradually whisk in the chocolate mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of pecans and 1/2 of the sweetened flaked coconut on the bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour the chocolate mixture evenly into the pie shell.
- Sprinkle the remaining pecans and coconut on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center is set when gently shaken. Check the top at 35 minutes and place a piece of aluminum foil on top to prevent the crust from over browning, if needed.
- Cool completely to room temperature before cutting.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and garnish with chocolate curls, if desired.