These vanilla cream glazed fresh Peach Scones make a delicious start to any day. Serve them with a side of honey butter or fresh whipped cream for the perfect accompaniment to a cuppa jo or hot tea.
Homemade Peach Scones Recipe
Scones are much like our buttermilk biscuits in the South. They can be made sweet or savory, but most often scones can be found on menus featuring sweet flavors. Whether they're savory scones filled with bacon and cheddar, or a buttery brown sugar pecan scone dough, they are loved by my family and they never last long.
How to Make the Best Peach Scones Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make easy Peach Scones: 1 cup of diced fresh peaches, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, butter, heavy cream or buttermilk, one large egg to make the egg wash for the top, vanilla and almond extracts.
- For the Cream glaze you'll need: Powdered sugar, heavy cream plus vanilla or almond extract. You'll also need toasted almonds for garnishing.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large sheet pan, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a whisk to sift together the dry ingredients, a sharp knife and chopping board, a pastry brush and a large pan for baking.
- Due to the fresh peaches, it's best to prepare this scone dough and bake it the same day.
- That said, the dough performs best when it's chilled before baking, so you can prepare them several hours in advance, then cover and chill until you're ready to bake them.
- The dough for these scones is tender and the juices from the peaches will cause it to spread. It's best to bake them side by side.
- After baking, use a sharp knife to define the scones edges, cutting apart as needed.
- You can also freeze this dough for make ahead preparation. When doing so, cut into wedges and freeze separately or freeze the dough in a disk. The wedges you can bake from frozen adding a few minutes to the baking time.
- You can cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a food processor using the pulse function. Once the it looks like cornmeal, add the liquid and pulse just until the dough comes together.
- You could add fresh lemon or orange zest to the batter to expand the flavor profile. I recommend using 1-2 tablespoon of fresh zest but, feel free to add more or less, should you desire.
- Serve these scones with honey butter, lemon curd, raspberry preserves and fresh whipped cream.
More Southern Style Peach Desserts to Make
Peaches are the beloved fruit of summer all through the South, Due to this, I never miss an opportunity to explore all options for using them while they're at their peak. More peach dessert recipes you may like to try:
- Homemade Peach Shortcakes topped with peach slices and homemade bourbon whipped cream.
- Quench your thirst with a glass of Peach Iced Tea.
- Stunning fresh Peach and Cream Poke Cake is sure to satisfy your sweets craving.
- Chipotle Peach Barbecue Grilling Sauce is ideal for summer grilling.
- Peach Muffins from Christina's Cucina.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 cup diced fresh peaches (about 2 medium) peel intact
- 2 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar plus additional to sprinkle tops
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup frozen unsalted butter finely grated
- ¾ cup heavy cream or buttermilk (not fat free)
- 2 large eggs, beaten (use one for egg wash)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon heavy cream plus additional as needed to thin
- few drops almond or vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon toasted sliced almonds for garnishing optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter, tossing to evenly distribute.
- Add peaches, mxing to coat with flour. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, 1 egg, vanilla and almond extracts. Pour into dry ingredients, mixing until fully moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Turn to coat with flour, if sticky. Press into roughly an 8 inch circle ¾-1 inch thick. Use a sharp knife dipped in flour to cut into even wedges.
- Place onto baking sheet side by side leaving around ½ inch between. Brush tops with egg and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar. (Chill for 30 minutes or freeze for 20 minutes.)
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until golden. Use a sharp knife to cut between to separate scones. Let cool while you make the glaze.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, cream, and almond extract. Drizzle over warm scones (not hot) and garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.
Who doesn't LOVE peaches!!?
I completely concur!