Hold on kids it’s about to get peachy. My family’s Summer dessert menu just wouldn’t be complete without this Peaches and Cream Poke Cake. It’s a celebration of our beloved Southern summer fruit and it doesn’t disappoint. In it, a vanilla cake is filled with fresh sweet peaches both in the batter and the dreamy topping that’s poured onto the cake fresh from the oven. Cool it completely, then top it off with billows of whipped cream and enjoy the sweet peach delight in every bite.
We love peaches in the South. In recent years Georgia, the peach state, has been surpassed by California and South Carolina in peach growing and production. We grow our own share of peaches here in North Carolina, too. Regardless of where the majority are grown, that doesn’t dull their shine they are, and will always be thought of as our own. This peaches and cream poke cake can be made using a cake mix or from scratch using my old fashioned butter cake either way, it’s a winner. While I use peach schnapps to cook the peaches, peach nectar found either with the fruit juices or sold in cans on the Hispanic food aisle will work perfectly to give the fresh peaches a punch in flavor.
The holes poked in the cake give the golden opportunity for the peach and condensed milk mixture to saturate the cake and it gets better and better each day. Serve this at your next backyard soiree and sit back and prepare for the “oohs” and “aahs.” For other ways to enjoy peaches checkout this Pan Seared Talapia with Peach and Cucumber Salsa, Gluten Free No-Bake Peach Cheesecake Bars and delicious Fresh Peach Scones.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Peaches and Cream Poke Cake
- 4 cups peeled and finely diced fresh peaches plus 12 slices for garnishing (Optional)
- 1/3 cup Peach Schnapps OR peach nectar i.e. Jumex
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 15,25 oz box golden vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare OR homemade Butter Cake
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 8-oz frozen whipped topping, thawed OR 4 cups fresh sweetened whipped cream
- 1/4 cup toasted almond slices
- Place the peaches in a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the peach snapps or peach nectar, if using. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until softened and juices have been released.
- Add the cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir until the cornstarch is dissolved and there's little to no juice left in the pan. Remove from the heat and add the almond extract. Mix well then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Spread the almond slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 3-5 minutes then remove. Cool completely.
- Prepare the cake mix per the directions using the amounts called for of water, oil and eggs.
- Mix 1/2 of the diced peaches into the batter. Mix well then pour into the baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes back clean.
- Remove from the oven and using the back of a wooden spoon or similar generously poke holes over the entire cake.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the remaining peaches and condensed milk. Pour over the cake. Cool completely.
- After cooled frost with whipped topping and garnish with toasted almonds and additional peach slices, if desired.
1- Add 1 tsp of pure vanilla or almond extract to the cake batter for extra flavor.
2- Replace the amount of water called for with whole milk or buttermilk.
3- Add one extra egg to give the cake more rise.