This oh-so-simple and delightful Lemon Burst Poke Cake is slathered with lemon pudding then topped with a dreamy homemade whipped lemon cream cheese frosting. There's only one way to describe the burst of lemon flavor you'll enjoy with each and every bite. It's light and refreshing and one of those special desserts that really shows the dessert love to your family and friends.
For the Love of Lemon Burst Poke Cake
The bight flavor of lemon is associated with spring and warmer weather. It's a natural progression of thought with fruits like lemons, limes and oranges being intricate ingredients in many warmer weather sweet and savory foods we love. This poke cake is one I wanted to add to my recipe file not only for the incredible flavor but, the ease of making it, as well. Bakers of all skill levels can be confident making this cake that begins with a cake mix infused with fresh lemon zest then smothered in lemon pudding then topped with a dreamy homemade lemon whipped cream cheese frosting.
Lemon Poke Cake Dressed to Impress
This poke cake is one of those cakes that looks far more involved than it actually is to make and the reaction to its deliciousness is priceless. Serve it for a holiday or any special occasion when you want a spectacular sweet ending to your meal.
Other Poke Cake Recipes You May Enjoy
- Carrot Cake Poke here on MSSK
- Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake here on MSSK
- Rocky Road Fudge Poke Cake here on MSSK
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake from The Country Cook
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Lemon Burst Poke Cake
- 1 15.25 oz box Golden Vanilla cake mix, plus water oil eggs to prepare (i.e. Betty Crocker)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 3.4 oz box instant lemon pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure lemon extract
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest divided
- 2 Tbsp grated white chocolate
- Additional whipped cream and lemon slices for garnishing Optional
- To make the cake: Prepare the cake mix per the package instructions using the amounts of water, oil and eggs called for. Add 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest. Bake in a greased 13 x 9 inch cake pan until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Once baked, immediately poke holes all over the cake using the back of a wooden spoon or similar. Be generous.
- To make the pudding: In a medium size mixing bowl using an electric mixer, whip together the pudding mix and milk until thickened but, still pourable.
- Spread pudding over the cake gently pushing into the holes. Cool to room temperature. (This doesn't take long)
- To make the frosting: In a medium size mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract.
- Add the cream continuing to beat on medium-high speed until fluffy and fully combined and soft peaks form. Mix in 2 Tbsp lemon zest by hand.
- Frost the top of the cake, garnishing with the remaining lemon zest and grated white chocolate.
- Chill for 4 hours or overnight before serving. (May use additional whipped cream and lemon slices to decorate as pictured, if desired.)
- Store leftovers chilled.