This buttery pecan praline buttermilk pound cake is filled with toasted pecans and toffee bits. It’s then drizzled with a sweet pecan praline glaze. It’s a cake ideal for serving at any special event such as tea with friends, brunch, a church potluck or a “just because” dessert any time of year. Pound cakes were once made with a pound of flour, a pound of butter, a pound of eggs and a pound of sugar. That simple combination turned pantry staples into one of the most beloved Southern cakes of all-time. I still love the thrill of mixing up those same simple ingredients to create a cake that will delight my dessert eaters. It’s one of the small pleasures in life that never gets old. I truly believe that when you make a dessert from scratch it really shows the love, doesn’t it? It just screams that you thought it was important enough to go the extra mile to make something delicious for everyone to enjoy.
If you’ve been cooking with me for a while, you know how much I love caramel and pecans. It was just a matter of time before I combined my love of caramel, pecans and pralines and turn it into a pound cake. Voila, this beautiful pound cake actually exceeded my expectations. This decadent cake is not for the butter or sugar shy as it celebrates both in abundance. Save this for a special occasion and enjoy a piece with the special people in your life. They’ll be so glad you did.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1½ cup toasted roughly chopped pecans
- ½ cup toffee bits
- Praline glaze:(Made in a 1100 watt microwave)
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Do not preheat the oven. Liberally butter and flour a tube pan. Set aside. (See Cook's note)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter, shortening, vanilla, brown and granulated sugars. Beat for 2 minutes or until creamy and light beige in color..
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition stopping to scrap the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Lower the speed of the mixer and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk. After all has been added increase the speed of the mixer to medium and beat until fully combined around 45-60 seconds.
- By hand mix in 1 12 cup pecans and toffee bits. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Place the cake into a cold oven. Bake at 325F for 1hr 30min to 1hr 45min or until a long skewer inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 30 minutes then turn onto the rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze. In a deep microwave safe bowl melt the butter in the microwave. Whisk the brown sugar and heavy cream into the melted butter then return to the microwave..
- Cook on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir in the vanilla and ¼ cup pecans. Allow to cool slightly then drizzle over the cake.