This easy Pumpkin Dump Cake is sprinkled with chopped pecans and toffee bits that magically combine to form a praline-like topping while it bakes. It's an irresistible dessert ideal for fall and holiday gatherings.
Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe
Dump cakes are a favorite with bakers of all skill levels. While I most often bake cakes and cookies from scratch, I really love this seasonal pumpkin cake using cake mix and look forward to making it every year. How do you make Pumpkin Dump Cake? First, the filling is made using pumpkin puree, sugar, evaporated milk, pumpkin pie spice, large eggs, vanilla and more. Pour this into a dish then cake mix is sprinkled on top. Pour melted butter over the cake mix and sprinkle with pecans and English toffee bits and bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool then serve topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
How to Make the Best Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Pumpkin Dump Cake: Canned pumpkin puree, (100% pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling) evaporated milk, large eggs, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla, salt, pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon, one box of yellow cake mix, melted butter, chopped pecans and English toffee bits.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A whisk, a hand mixer or a stand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a small food processor or sharp knife and cutting board to chop the pecans, a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and large silicone spatula for scraping the large bowl.
- If preferred, you can adapt the pumpkin pie spice using all cinnamon or make your own. For this recipe use 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (in addition to the cinnamon called for in the recipe), ¼ teaspoon ginger, ¼ teaspoon, nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon allspice, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves and a dash of cardamom.
- Dump cakes can be made in a variety of flavors and they typically begin with a cake mix. Use a good quality cake mix or your favorite brand for the best tasting end result.
- You can use thawed whipped topping such as Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream for the topping. See the next section for how to make your own.
- Store Pumpkin Dump Cake covered and chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to Make Homemade Sweetened Whipped Cream for Pumpkin Dump Cake
How do you make homemade sweetened whipped cream? Chill a large mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes or so to get cold. Next, using an electric mixer, beat 2 cups of heavy cream with one teaspoon of vanilla extract. On medium speed, gradually add ¼-1/3 cup of granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Don't overbeat. This will yield around 4 cups of whipped cream. Store whipped cream chilled until serving. Homemade whipped cream is best used the same day it's made.
More Southern Style Cakes to Make
Julia Childs is famous for saying a party without a cake is just a meeting, and I completely concur. More cake recipes you may also like to try:
- Coconut Cream Cake is always a winning choice for dessert.
- Butter Rum Cake is guaranteed to become a holiday favorite.
- Easy Carrot Cake Poke Cake.
- Hummingbird Cake continues to be a hot favorite in the South.
- Fudgy Texas Sheet Cake is made from scratch with a warm chocolate frosting filled with toasted pecans.
- Easy Strawberry Layer Cake is so simple bakers of any skill level can make it with confidence.
- Raspberry Layer Cake from My Cake School.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 2 15 oz cans pureed pumpkin
- 1 16 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 15.25 oz box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½-2/3 cup English toffee bits
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with baking spray.
- In a large bowl whip together pumpkin, evaporated milk, vanilla, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt and eggs using an electric mixer or whisk. Whip until fully combined then pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly all over the top covering pumpkin completely. Sprinkle the top with pecans and toffee bits.
- Pour melted butter evenly over pecans and toffee bits. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until set when gently shaken and the top is golden. (Check at 40 minutes and lay a piece of aluminum foil loosely on top to prevent over browning.)
- Cool in the pan for 2 hours on a cooling rack then chill for at least 2 hours before cutting. Store leftovers chilled.