This Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush Dessert recipe is a seasonal riff on popular layered lush desserts. Lush desserts can be made in a variety of flavors and they usually come with whimsical names, too. This seasonal variation starts with a graham cracker crust embellished with pecans. It’s topped with a sweetened whipped cream cheese layer, pumpkin spice pudding layer and finished with plenty of whipped cream!
Easy Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush Dessert Recipe
Layered lush sweets are one of those desserts with a thousand names and each one spells delicious. This dessert is flexible, so you can prepare it using whatever flavor pudding you enjoy, The names can be whimsical and vary depending on the flavor, but the concept is all the same. The original layered dessert starts with a pecan shortbread crust topped with a sweet cream cheese layer. You can then add a layer of pudding in any flavor you like. How to make easy Pumpkin Spice Lush:
- Crust – The crust for this seasonal spinoff is made using graham cracker crumbs, chopped pecans, ground cinnamon, sugar and melted butter.
- Cream Cheese Layer – This layer begins with plain softened cream cheese that’s whipped with powered sugar and vanilla extract. Once combined, fold in the whipped topping by hand.
- Pudding Layer – This recipe uses instant pumpkin spice pudding for the pudding layer whipped with milk. It can be hard to come by so you can use vanilla pudding with pumpkin puree. See the cook’s notes in the printable recipe card for more information.
- Topping – The top is frosted with more whipped cream then garnished with chopped pecans and English toffee bits.
How to Make the Best Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush Dessert Recipe
For my pumpkin version, I replaced the shortbread crust with a nutty cinnamon laced graham cracker crust, and I added a sprinkle of English toffee bits for a little surprise crunch in the middle. Give it time to chill thoroughly and serve it for a special fall treat, especially nice for your Thanksgiving dessert table.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush: Crushed graham crackers, chopped pecans, brown sugar, melted butter, instant pumpkin pudding (see the Cook’s note for an alternative) ground cinnamon, powdered sugar, milk, whipped topping i.e. Cool Whip or similar and English toffee bits (not chocolate coated) or bits-o-brickle.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish, measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, nut chopper, a stand mixer or a hand mixer and an offset spatula or spoon for spreading the layers.
- If you’re unable to find instant pumpkin pudding mix no worries! You can adapt the pumpkin layer. Adapt using two boxes of instant vanilla pudding mix, adding 1-2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (taste and adjust the amount) and one 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree. Whip together the pudding with the milk until thickened then fold in the pumpkin puree and proceed with the recipe.
- This Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush can be made one to two days in advance and stored chilled in the refrigerator. It’s important to allow it ample time to set-up so the layers are thoroughly chilled.
- Store leftover Pumpkin Lush dessert chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Pumpkin Dessert Recipes to Make
We all associate pumpkin with the fall and holiday season. Because of this, I think you should make an effort to enjoy it any way you can. More pumpkin desserts and treats you may also like to make:
- Pumpkin Cream Pie with Bourbon Whipped Cream is to die for.
- See how easy it is to make your own Homemade Pumpkin Puree.
- The perfect snack with your morning coffee is a freshly baked batch of Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping.
- Start your day with stack of Pumpkin French Toast.
- Mini Pumpkin Pies are individual servings ideal for the holidays and tea parties.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Parfaits have a crunchy pecan layer that takes it to another level.
- You may also enjoy this Pumpkin Sweet Cream Chocolate Trifle from The Slow Roasted Italian.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush Dessert
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans divided
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3.4 oz boxes pumpkin spice instant pudding mix (See Cook's note)
- 2 cups cold milk or half and half
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1/2 cup English toffee bits divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- First layer: Combine graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup pecans, melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Press firmly onto the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden and set. set aside to cool completely.
- Second layer: Cream together 8 ounces of cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Fold in one third of the thawed whipped topping by hand. Spread over the crust and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of toffee bits.
- Third layer: Whip together both boxes of pumpkin spice pudding mix with 2 cups of cold milk for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Spread over the cream cheese layer.
- Fourth layer: Frost the top with the remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with a reserved pecans and toffee bits.
- Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. Cut into squares for serving.