This creamy old fashioned Rice Pudding recipe is sweet and comforting. It features hints of warm cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg and cardamom along with chewy raisins for texture. It's the equivalent of comfort food for dessert.
Easy Rice Pudding Recipe
How do you make Rice Pudding? First, begin by cooking the long grain or a medium grain rice in salted water until all the liquid is absorbed. Once tender, add half and half or milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and a dash of cardamom along with salt and granulated sugar. Mix well, let simmer. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with ½ cup reserved half and half then temper with a spoonful of rice from the pot. Whisk the egg mixture into the pot and simmer gently for 5 minutes while stirring. Add raisins and butter mix well, then simmer for a couple of minutes. You can enjoy rice pudding warm or chill in the refrigerator until serving.
How to Make the Best Rice Pudding Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Rice Pudding: 3 cups cooked medium or long grain rice, 2 ½ cups half and half or whole milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, vanilla extract, butter, large egg and raisins or golden raisins.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A medium heavy bottomed pot or saucepan, measuring cups and spoons, a large spoon or rubber spatula for stirring.
- How much water do you need to cook rice? Rule of thumb when cooking rice is to every 1 cup of rice use 2 cups of water or liquid. There are always variables and this can vary depending on the type of rice i.e. brown rice takes longer to cook and would require more liquid.
- To make your rice for this recipe use 1 cup dry rice and 2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil, add the rice, stir once. Bring back to a boil then cook over low heat covered for 15-18 minutes or just until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. This can be done in advance and chilled until you're ready to make the rice pudding.
- You can use dried cranberries, dried blueberries, dried cherries or golden raisins in place of classic raisins. You can also omit them altogether.
- It's important to temper the egg prior to adding it to the rice in the pot. Add a heaping tablespoon or so to the egg and milk mixture and it should do the trick.
- Why is my rice mushy? If rice is mushy it generally means there was too much liquid. There's really no way to fix mushy rice and you will likely need to start a new batch.
- Why is my rice hard? If the rice is underdone it usually means there wasn't enough liquid or it wasn't cooked long enough. If the rice is not tender after the liquid has been absorbed, you can add more and cook it a few minutes longer.
- When do you enjoy rice pudding? Rice pudding can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, as a snack or for a homestyle dessert.
- Store Rice Pudding chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
More Easy Dessert Recipes to Make
Some desserts exemplify the equivalent of comfort food just as fried chicken and macaroni for savory comfort food favorites. More easy desserts you may also like to try:
- Apple Cobbler or Peach Cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream are year-round favorites.
- Homemade Strawberry Shortcake is always a hit.
- Butter Pecan Cookies won't last long in your cookie jar.
- Hot Fudge Cake is a fun dessert to make that everyone will love!
- Whip up a batch of Lemon Bars dusted with powdered sugar.
- Bananas Foster Crisp will warm you up from the inside out.
- Raisin Scones from Lovefoodies.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 3 cups cooked medium or long grain rice
- 2 ½ cups half and half or whole milk divided use
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ⅔ cup golden raisins
- 1-2 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan add rice, 2 cups milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and salt, Mix well, simmer over medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes or until beginning to thicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ½ cup milk and egg. Add a heaping tablespoon of warm rice to the bowl, mix well.
- Whisking constantly, add egg mixture to the saucepan along with the raisins. Mix well, simmer while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat adding butter and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- To make rice for this recipe use 1 cup dry rice and 2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil, add the rice, stir once. Bring back to a boil then cook over low heat covered for 15-18 minutes or just until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. This can be done in advance and chilled until you're ready to make the rice pudding.
- To lighten up rice pudding, use 2% milk in place of half and half and light butter.
Just my mother, Betty made some 70 year's ago. Very hood will be one on my go to recipes.
I'm so happy you enjoyed it, thanks Ron!
Excellent recipe! I rarely make desserts but I had leftover rice in the freezer that needed to be used and this seemed to be the perfect answer….and it was! Thank you Melissa for another great recipe.
Perfect, I'm so happy you loved it!