This easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe is made completely from scratch using pantry staples. Once baked, they're filled with loads of fresh whipped cream and macerated strawberries. It's the dessert that everyone loves.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Strawberry shortcake is bound to be one of the most popular desserts of all time. The combination of sweet shortcakes stuffed with fresh whipped cream and strawberries is nothing short of angel food, if you ask me.
How to Make the Best Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Strawberry Shortcake: 1 quart of fresh strawberries, hulled and cubed and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- For the homemade shortcakes you'll need: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, half and half, vanilla extract, melted butter to brush to tops and whipped cream for serving.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: Mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a strawberry huller or sharp knife and chopping board to cube the strawberries, a whisk to sift together the dry ingredients, a pastry blender or food processor to cut the butter into the flour, a hand mixer or a stand mixer to whip the cream. You'll also need a parchment lined baking sheet to bake the shortcakes.
- When choosing strawberries choose red berries with fresh stems, no dark spots and firm when gently squeezed.
- Fresh whipped cream isn't as stable as Cool Whip. If you prefer to use whipped topping you can but freshly whipped cream should be prepared the day you plan on serving the strawberry shortcake.
- How to make Sweetened Fresh Whipped Cream: In medium size mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to whip together 2 cups heavy cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Gradually add ¼ cup granulated sugar beating just until stiff peaks form. Don't overbeat. Chill until assembling.
- This is one of these dessert recipes where fresh whipped cream is ideal. You could use Cool Whip or a similar private label brand of whipped topping, if that's your preference. It is more stable than fresh whipped cream and could tolerate sitting at room temperature a bit longer.
- After brushing the tops with butter sprinkle with additional granulated sugar or turbinado sugar in the raw to add a little crunch to the top.
- Store leftover shortcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
More Southern Style Strawberry Desserts to Make
When strawberries are in season or on sale, they're on our dessert menu. More desserts using fresh strawberries you may also like to try:
- This stunning Strawberry Layer Cake is a cake mix hack and no one will ever know.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle is a special dessert for a special occasion.
- My recipe for Strawberries and Cream Pie has a hidden cheesecake layer hidden inside.
- No Churn Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream doesn't require any special equipment to make.
- Start your morning with a slice of fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake.
- Strawberry Muffins recipe from The Pioneer Woman.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 quart strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar plus additional for tops
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter cubed
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted to brush tops
- 3 cups whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To macerate berries: Add strawberries to a medium-size mixing bowl with 2 tablespoon sugar. Toss, then set into the fridge to macerate.
- To make shortcakes: In a medium-size mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Use a pastry blender to cut butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal. Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together half and half, egg and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients gradually mixing in until fully moistened.
- Use two tablespoon to drop dough in mounds onto parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Cool for 15 minutes.
- To assemble: Slice shortcakes through the middle, top with macerated berries and whipped cream.
To make sweetened fresh whipped cream: In medium size mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to whip together 2 cups heavy cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Gradually add ¼ cup granulated sugar beating just until stiff peaks form. Don't overbeat. Chill until assembling.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 453kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 642mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 623IU | Vitamin C: 93mg | Calcium: 212mg | Iron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @melissassk or tag #melissassk!
Melissa, in the list of ingredients there is no egg listed, but in the directions step 5 you add an egg. Is it just one egg?
You need one large egg for the shortcakes. It's under the half and half in the list of ingredients.
Thanks I must have overlooked it when I read the ingredients fast.
No problem at all!
Melissa, I can't find your recipe for strawberry cake from boxed strawberry cake. It had gelatin in it. Going crazy trying to find it again! I was sure I had seen it on today's "program." Help!
You must be looking for this recipe for Easy Strawberry Layer Cake.