I serve this easy Oven Roasted Asparagus drizzled with a homemade balsamic reduction, It’s a simple and elegant side dish to make. Serve it at the holidays or alongside your favorite grilling entrees any time of year.
Easy Oven Roasted Asparagus Recipe
Asparagus is such an elegant vegetable, and takes such little time to prepare. Roasting is by far my favorite way to serve it closely followed by grilling. Roasting allows you to maintain the texture of the asparagus and caramelizes the ends making them slightly crispy. No jars of mushy asparagus can be found in my pantry. Ever.
How to Make the Best Oven Roasted Asparagus
The balsamic reduction adds a nice pick me up to the flavor along with a hint of sweetness. You can certainly opt to enjoy the asparagus as is, if preferred.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Oven Roasted Asparagus: Two pounds fresh asparagus. olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste, Parmesan cheese plus balsamic vinegar and granulated sugar to make the glaze.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Sharp knife and cutting board, small saucepan, cheese grater, sheet pan and large spoon.
- The woody end of the asparagus is bitter and needs to be removed prior to roasting.
- To find the best breaking point hold it and bend the stalk to see where the more tender portion of the stalk begins, then break it. You can also use a sharp knife to remove the ends.
- Depending on the size of the asparagus, this simple side dish can be ready in less than 20 minutes.
- Begin the balsamic reduction first to give it time to reduce and thicken for a time saver. This step can easily be done several days in advance. Store the glaze in a mason jar chilled in the refrigerator until using.
- Store prepared balsamic glaze tightly sealed in a mason jar or storage container then just warm it slightly to drizzle over the roasted asparagus just before serving. You can keep it chilled for up to 1 week.
- Store Oven Roasted Asparagus chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Chop and use in quiche, make a vegetable frittata or chop it up in salads and pasta.
More Asparagus Recipes to Make
When asparagus comes into season in the spring it’s so fun to find more and more ways to use it. More recipes using asparagus you may also like to try:
- These Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles are easy for everyday meals and special enough for holidays and entertaining.
- This Cheesy Baked Asparagus casserole just may have the kiddos eating their vegetables and loving it.
- This and Alfredo Penne with Ham Asparagus and Corn is a one dish meal.
- Enjoy a generous side of Grilled Vegetable Salad tossed with an apple cider honey vinaigrette alongside your favorite grilled entrees.
- Mediterranean Penne Pasta Salad with ham and asparagus is practically a meal itself.
- You may also like this recipe for Grilled Asparagus from Foodie Crush.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Oven Roasted Asparagus
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish
- garlic salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
- 10-12 oz bottle balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- To prepare the balsamic reduction: On the stove top, pour the entire bottle of balsamic vinegar into a saucepan and stir in the sugar until it dissolves.
- Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and reduce the vinegar by 1/2-2/3 in volume.
- Set aside to cool slightly. The vinegar should become slightly thicker and intensify in flavor. Makes 3/4 cup
- To roast the asparagus: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spritz with cooking spray.
- Clean and remove the woody portion of the asparagus stalks and pat dry with a paper towel. Arrange the asparagus spears on the baking sheets in a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and season with garlic salt and pepper to taste. If you'd like to make this even lighter, spritz with olive oil cooking spray.
- Roast baby asparagus at 450°F for 10-12 minutes or until crisp tender. If the asparagus is thicker, roast for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pans for a couple of minutes before serving.
- To serve, drizzle with the balsamic reduction and sprinkle with Parmesan-Romano cheese.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 546mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 1769IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 5mg