These tasty Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles are ideal for a make-ahead side dish for holidays or special occasion dinners. Assemble the bundles completely in advance and refrigerate then they’re ready to bake just before serving. Asparagus is such an elegant vegetable and always makes an impressive side dish for most any entree.
Roasted Asparagus Is A Game Changer
Canned asparagus is not for me. I find the texture less than appealing and the flavor seems unusually intense. That said, I do love asparagus roasted. One of my favorite ways to serve asparagus, apart from this bacon wrapped version, is this roasted asparagus drizzled with a balsamic reduction. For special occasion meals, these bacon wrapped asparagus bundles are a way to “spruce up” the menu just a bit. They have such a pretty presentation but, are so very simple to prepare. I’ve included an optional dipping sauce but, it truly is optional. I recommend that you go the extra mile and grate the Parmesan-Romano cheese yourself. If you choose to purchase it, make sure you use a really good quality cheese blend for the best results.
Is a Broiler Pan Necessary?
You don’t have to use a broiler pan to make this dish. You can use an oven safe grill pan or any baking pan fitted with an oven safe baking rack. In that instance, use a rimmed baking pan to catch any drippings and for easy clean-up, line the pan first with foil.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
- 2 lb asparagus cleaned, woody ends removed
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan-Romano cheese
- olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
- garlic salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Optional dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp Italian dressing
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spritz a roasting pan with cooking spray. Set up all of your ingredients before you begin to wrap the bundles.
- Brush the asparagus spears lightly with olive oil or spritz with cooking spray. Season with garlic salt [lightly] and black pepper. [Go light with the salt. The Parmesan-Romano cheese will add extra saltiness to the bundles]
- Bundle the asparagus in three's. Use one slice of bacon per bundle.
- Start wrapping the bacon around the stems tightly beginning at the bottom. If you choose to use baby asparagus, a half slice of bacon should be enough.
- Roll in the grated Parmesan-Romano cheese and lay seam side down on the baking pan. Make sure the bundles aren't touching.
- Repeat until all of the asparagus and bacon slices have been used.
- Place into the oven and bake for 23-25 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Turn halfway through cooking.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes to fully crisp the bacon.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan-Romano cheese to garnish.
- Serve warm with the dipping sauce if desired.