Simple elegance with garden fresh flavors are what you’ll enjoy in this Roasted Summer Squash With Sweet Peppers And Onion. The ingredients in this dish can easily adapted to your taste, roasting brings out the natural sweetness and turns fresh vegetables into a bonefide feast.
Roasted Vegetables Are Simple Dishes Personified
I really love this simple elegant side dish featuring a brilliant display of color in the squash, bell peppers and onions. It’s the sort of simple side dish my Mom would make with the garden goodie my Dad had grown in our garden. It doesn’t get any more organic than that and it’s not only tasty but so good for you, too.
Dining Out And A Chef’s Quality Dish
I recently had dinner at a high brow local eatery here in town, and they served roasted squash as one of their premium side dishes. I ordered it, expecting something really magnificent, and when my dinner arrived, I was a little taken aback by the Chef’s approach to this dish. It wasn’t bad, it was pure simplicity. Cubes of squash and zucchini, lightly roasted until golden and barely touched with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. I roast vegetables like this all of the time at home, and it never occurred to me that this basic approach was something people pay top dollar to enjoy. So, I wanted to share with you my take on a roasted vegetable medley that rotates regularly through my kitchen and celebrates the “fresh from the garden” flavors of the vegetables. See also Roasted Garden Vegetables, Roasted Beets and Easy Oven Roasted Tomatoes.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Roasted Summer Squash With Sweet Peppers And Onion
- 1 large yellow squash [about 2 cups]
- 1 large zucchini squash [about 2 cups]
- 1 medium purple onion
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet orange pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 3/4-1 tsp garlic salt
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet liberally with cooking spray.
- Cut the yellow squash and zucchini into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- Thinly slice the onion and cut the peppers into strips.
- Place all of the veggies into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the veggies add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasonings, add 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, 3/4-1 teaspoon of garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Spread the vegetables in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Stir. In the first 20 minutes, the vegetables will release a lot of moisture.
- Bake for another 15 minutes,, then stir again.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475°F and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve hot.
This recipe can be easily doubled, using 2 baking sheets and rotating the pans to allow for even cooking.
Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my website My name is Melissa, I’m a busy Mom, author, recipe developer, photographer, food writer and blogger. I’m passionate about creating delicious dishes to share with family and friends!