Roasted Tomatoes – I look forward to tomato season every year. You can enjoy fresh tomatoes in so many different ways, and the flavor is at it’s peak for such a short time. This simple recipe is among the tastiest of ways to use them. It’s also a wonderful way to bring winter tomatoes back to life, because the color and the flavor becomes so intense with roasting.
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze [optional]
- shaved Parmesan cheese or goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Quarter the tomatoes and place them on the baking sheet cut side up. Drizzle each tomato quarter with olive oil, then sprinkle with sugar, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to caramelize.
- Turn the oven off and move the pan to the lowest oven rack.
- Leaving the oven door ajar, let the tomatoes rest in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm as a side dish sprinkled with the cheese of your choice, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze if you like.
These tomatoes can be enjoyed as a side dish, on pizza, tossed with hot pasta or on toasted bread as a sandwich.