When fresh zucchini comes in with a vengeance, I love finding new ways to serve it to my family. Baked, roasted, fried, steamed there’s just no end to the possibilities. Baked Zucchini with Tomatoes and Gouda Cheese takes fresh zucchini to an all new level. Topped with freshly grated Gouda cheese, plum tomato slices and a crispy buttery topping they’re baked until tender and golden. It’s a side dish that’s complementary to so many entrees and they’re practically a meal themselves.
Summer Zucchini is a Blessing
So many seasonings compliment the mild flavor and texture of zucchini and I can’t think of one single way that it can be prepared that doesn’t make me happy. It’s so good and good for you! My Dad plants a garden every year, and he truly is the King of green thumbs. He can grow anything and grow it in abundance. It would be an absolute tragedy if we ever left empty handed. Every year he grows beautiful yellow squash and zucchini giving me a new opportunity each Summer to try a different technique of preparing each of them.
Baked Zucchini with Tomatoes and Gouda Cheese
This baked zucchini doesn’t require any steaming just assembling and roasting. To ensure the zucchini halves remain upright while baking turn them over and slice a thin cut on the bottom to make it flat. I chose to use shredded Gouda cheese for this dish. Not smoked Gouda since I didn’t want to over power the flavor of the zucchini itself. Topped with juicy slices of plum tomatoes and a crispy panko bread crumb topping takes this side dish over the top. If you enjoy fresh from the garden flavors you’ll love this easy baked zucchini. Another fun way to enjoy zucchini is filling it with your favorite South-of-the-border flavors in these Taco Zucchini Boats from Bellyfull.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Baked Zucchini With Tomatoes and Gouda Cheese
- 2 medium medium zucchini [8-inch]
- 2 large Roma tomatoes thinly sliced [16 slices total]
- 4 Tbsp butter or light butter melted
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup shredded gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or spray with cooking spray.
- Place the tomato slices on a paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt. Gently press another paper towel on top and allow to sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice the zucchini in half. Cut a small slice from the peel on the opposite to give a solid base and keep it upright while baking.
- Mix the melted butter with the garlic salt, onion powder, dry Italian seasoning and blac pepper to your taste.
- Brush the tops of the zucchini wit the seasoned butter. Reserve the remaining butter for the crumb topping.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded gouda. Arrange 4 slices of tomato on each.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded gouda cheese.
- Toss the panko breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese with the remaining butter and sprinkle over the gouda cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until fork tender. Garnish with chopped fresh basil, if desired.