This awesome Crumb Topped Four Cheese Tomato Pie is a celebration of vine ripened tomatoes. Juicy tomato slices are baked together with mozzarella, provolone, creamy and garlic-herb flavored cheese. The top is sprinkled with a Parmesan-panko crumb topping and it’s all baked until the crust is golden. It’s easy enough for a weeknight but perfect for a special occasion, too.
Easy Crumb Topped Four Cheese Tomato Pie Recipe
While I love making tomato pie in particular during the summer months, thanks to my local Costco I’ve been able to expand my love of this pie into off season months as well. This past week, vine ripened tomatoes were not only available but on sale too, so I had to bring some home with me. I’ve made many tomato pies and tarts over the years but haven’t always been happy with the results. My frustration lead to the need develop my own recipes and I think I’ve figured out the secret to success. By the way, insider tip, I’ve got an amazing variation in my cookbook.
How to Make the Best Crumb Topped Four Cheese Tomato Pie Recipe
Tomatoes that are worth eating are the juiciest. That can spell disaster for a pie like this one, but is easily fixed beforehand.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Crumb Topped Four Cheese Tomato Pie: One 9 inch deep dish pie shells, vine ripened tomatoes, kosher salt and black pepper, Alouette or Boursin garlic and herb cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded provolone cheese, melted butter, panko breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A sharp knife and cutting board, an offset spatula, measuring spoons, a small bowl to melt the butter and a cheese grater.
- Place the tomato slices in a single layer on doubled paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt and gently press another paper towel on top. The juice releases from the tomato slices and the result is a pie that won’t break down and become watery.
- The provolone cheese I use in this pie isn’t smoked. You can use smoked if that’s to your taste. You could also use Asiago cheese.
- For this tomato pie you can swap out lighter dairy products to lighten it up a bit.
- Store leftover Crumb Topped Four Cheese Tomato Pie chilled in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Southern Style Pie Recipes to Make
On those days you’re in the mood for something different this savory pie is sure to hit the spot. For more tomato and savory pie recipes to make:
- Fresh Tomato Tart with Basil Pesto and Fontina Cheese is another variation for using summer tomatoes.
- Mashed Potato Topped Cottage Pie is rich and filling.
- Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is comfort food 101.
- Mac and Cheese Pie with Plum Tomatoes is one more way to make macaroni and cheese.
- Individual Mini Chicken Pot Pies will be a hit with the kiddos.
- 25 Quick Ways To Use Fresh Tomatoes found in my Parade Magazine kitchen.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Crumb Topped Four Cheese Tomato Pie
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie crust refrigerated, frozen or homemade
- 16 1/4 inch thick slices vine ripened tomatoes (About 4 medium size tomatoes)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 6.5 oz garlic-herb cheese, softened (i.e. Alouette or Boursin)
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 3 Tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- Place the tomato slices in a single layer on doubled paper towels. Season with kosher salt then gently press another single sheet paper towel on top. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pie crust onto a baking sheet and prick the bottom with a fork. Par-bake for 6 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 350°F. (If using homemade or refrigerated, press crust into a pie dish.)
- Mix together the shredded cheeses and divide into thirds. Sprinkle 1/3 on the bottom of the par-baked crust.
- Layer 1/2 of the tomato slices slightly overlapping over the cheese. Season lightly with black pepper and spread with 1/2 of the garlic-herb cheese.
- Repeat with shredded cheese, tomato slices, black pepper, and spread with garlic-herb cheese. Sprinkle with the final 1/3 of shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan and garlic salt. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbly. Rest on the counter for at least 20 minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm or at room temperature,