This awesome four cheese tomato pie is a celebration of vine ripened tomatoes. Juicy tomato slices are baked together with mozzarella, provolone, creamy and garlic-herb flavored cheese. The top is sprinkled with a Parmesan-panko crumb topping and it’s all baked until the crust is golden. It’s easy enough for a weeknight but perfect for a special occasion, too.
While I love making tomato pie in particular during the summer months, thanks to my local Costco I’ve been able to expand my love of this pie into off season months as well. This past week, vine ripened tomatoes were not only available but on sale too, so I had to bring some home with me. I’ve made many tomato pies and tarts over the years but haven’t always been happy with the results. My frustration lead to the need develop my own recipes and I think I’ve figured out the secret to success. (By the way, insider tip, I’ve got an amazing variation in my cookbook that’s set to be released on May 24th 2016.)
Tomatoes that are worth eating are the juiciest. This can spell disaster for a pie like this one but, is easily fixed beforehand. Place the tomato slices in a single layer on doubled paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt and gently press another paper towel on top. The juice releases from the tomato slices and the result is a pie that won’t break down and become watery.
For this pie you can swap out lighter dairy products to lighten it up a bit, if you are so inclined. On those days you’re in the mood for something different this savory pie is sure to hit the spot.
Crumb Topped Four-Cheese Tomato Pie
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust refrigerated, frozen or homemade
- 16 1/4-inch slices vine ripened tomatoes (About 4 medium size tomatoes)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1 6.5 oz garlic-herb cheese, softened (i.e. Alouette or Boursin)
- Crumb topping:
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 3 Tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- Place the tomato slices in a single layer on doubled paper towels. Season with kosher salt then gently press another single sheet paper towel on top. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pie crust onto a baking sheet and prick the bottom with a fork. Par-bake for 6 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Mix together the shredded cheeses and divide into thirds. Sprinkle 1/3 on the bottom of the par-baked crust.
- Layer 1/2 of the tomato slices slightly overlapping over the cheese. Season lightly with black pepper and spread with 1/2 of the garlic-herb cheese.
- Repeat with shredded cheese, tomato slices, black pepper, and spread with garlic-herb cheese. Sprinkle with the final 1/3 of shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan and garlic salt. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbly. Rest on the counter for at least 20 minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm or at room temperature,
Low fat dairy works very well in this tomato pie. Light butter, 2% shredded cheese and light garlic-herb Alouette cheese.