Cheesy Scalloped Corn is a delicious side dish option to serve alongside grilled chicken, holiday ham, barbecue pork, pot roast and beyond. Topped with a crispy cracker topping, it's a side dish the family will love year-round.
I'm certain when you hear "scalloped" you immediately think of scalloped potatoes. They're similar to this scalloped corn casserole in that they both utilize cheese and are baked in casserole form. This is the sort of dish you can enjoy year-round but, is often seen on the Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas tables here in the South. Not to be confused with the lighter and sweeter corn pudding or corn casserole, which has a cornbread texture. It's got that salty-sweet vibe that we, as a family, are partial to eating.
Tips for Making Scalloped Corn
- You can use fresh or frozen corn in this casserole.
- Club crackers are also delicious for the topping but, Ritz crackers are my personal favorite cracker to use.
- You may adjust the sweetness to your taste by increasing or decreasing the amount of sugar in the recipe.
- If you'd like to add a bit of kick, substitute pepper jack cheese for the cheddar in the same amount.
Dishes to Serve with Scalloped Corn
You can't go wrong with this dish for a holiday meal, potluck event or family party. Some dishes you may like to consider as an entree.
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Glazed Ham
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Dr Pepper Barbecue Ribs
- Homestyle Delicious Meatloaf
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 5 Tbsp butter divided
- 1 32 oz package frozen whole kernel corn thawed
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups sharp white cheddar or pepper-jack cheese divided
- 1 sleeve round butter crackers i.e. Ritz crushed and divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with 1 Tbsp butter. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
- Add corn to a medium-size bowl. Add half and half mixture plus ¾ cup cheese and ½ cup crushed crackers. Mix well. Pour into buttered dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Melt 4 Tbsp butter and toss with remaining cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle top with reserved cheese and buttered crumbs. Return to oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes then serve.