This Sheet Pan Chocolate Toffee Butter Cake with Fudge Frosting is a made-from-scratch dessert rock star. The buttery cake is filled with toffee bits and mini chocolate chips that are mixed into the batter. After baking it’s topped with a fudge-like chocolate ganache and sprinkled with more toffee bits. It’s a single layer cake that’s a true crowd pleaser with plenty to go around for everyone to enjoy.
When it comes to potlucks or big family gatherings a cake like this sheet pan chocolate toffee cake can go a long way. I’ve found that single layer cakes are always a crowd favorite since they allow the true sweets fans to have room for more than one dessert. That’s always a win, if you ask me. I mean, have you ever seen a Mississippi Mud Cake that didn’t disappear in the blink of an eye? I can say firsthand that I haven’t.
I bake this cake in a jelly roll pan and it works like a charm. If you don’t have a jelly roll pan, a 13 x 9-inch cake pan will work, of course. Keep in mind if you choose to do so, it will make a thicker cake and will require a longer time to bake. Once baked, cool the cake completely then top it with the chocolate fudge frosting and a sprinkling of toffee bits for crunch and you’ll be good to go.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sheet Pan Chocolate Toffee Butter Cake with Fudge Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp pure almond extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cup Bits-O-Brickle English Toffee Bits divided
- Fudge Frosting:
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 cups powered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour a standard 10" x 15" jelly roll pan or spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at time beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, pudding mix, baking powder and salt.
Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately beginning and ending with flour. Repeat until all has been added. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically.
Use a large spatula to mix the chocolate chips and 1 cup toffee bits in by hand until evenly distributed in batter.
- Spread into the prepared jelly roll pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Meanwhile,on the stovetop in a small heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat melt together the butter, heavy cream and cocoa until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and add the almond extract. Use a hand mixer to gradually beat in the powdered sugar. .
- Spread over the cooled cake then sprinkle with remaining toffee bits.
- Store chilled bring to room temperature for serving.