What Makes A White Cake White?
Other Ingredients That Make a White Cake White
Using egg whites and clear vanilla are a must when making a white cake. This cake can be finished with any flavor of frosting that you like. It can be cut into shapes and made into petit fours, strawberry shortcake or coconut cake, the list could go on and on. I love it, it’s flavorful, tender and versatile.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
White Buttermilk Cake
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 tsp almond extract
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups whole buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch cake pan or spray with baking spray. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together softened butter, sugar, vanilla and almond flavorings. Beat for 5 minutes until creamy and pale yellow in color.
- Add the egg whites. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Stop and scrape the beater and sides of the bowl periodically so all of the ingredients fully combine.
- After all ingredients have been added, increase the mixer speed and beat for 1 minute longer.
- Spread the batter evenly in pan. Bounce the pan on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool completely. Frost as desired.