This mouthwatering Pumpkin Snack Cake With Browned Butter Frosting has a tender crumb to compliment the dense structure. The crowning touch is a fabulous creamy browned butter frosting. It’s baked in a jelly roll pan, which makes the pieces thin enough to be a sort of a cake-like bar.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pumpkin Snack Cake With Browned Butter Frosting
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1  oz can pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Browned Butter Frosting:
- 3/4 cup [1 1/2 sticks] butter
- 32 oz powdered sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/3 cup whole milk half & half or heavy cream, plus additional as needed
- 1 cup toasted chopped nuts [i.e. pecans or walnuts your preference]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spritz a 15 x 10 x 1 1/2-inch jelly roll pan with baking spray.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Beat the wet into the dry ingredients and mix until fully moistened and the batter is creamy. Pour evenly into the jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the frosting, in a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Continue to cook until the butter turns light golden brown in color stirring occasionally. This may take as long as 10 minutes depending on how vigorously the butter simmers. It will bubble and froth.
- Remove from the heat. Cool slightly. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter into the powdered sugar, vanilla and 1/3 cup milk, half & half or heavy cream.
- Add additional milk, half & half or heavy cream in 1 Tbsp increments as needed until it reaches spreading consistency.
- Frost the bars. Sprinkle with 1 cup toasted nuts, if desired.
- Store chilled.
To toast the nuts, place 1 cup chopped nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350°F oven for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely before sprinkling on top of the cake.