Tostadas form the mouthwatering foundation for this Stacked Beef and Bean Tostada Skillet. This dish starts with my trusty cast iron skillet which is filled with layers of crunchy tostada shells, taco seasoned ground beef, refried beans, taco sauce and shredded cheese. The entire skillet is then popped into the oven to bake until bubbly and golden giving the flavors time to marry beautifully. Serve it topped with shredded lettuce, fresh pico de gallo, avocado chunks and a dollop of sour cream then slice it into wedges and serve.
Spicy South-of-the-border flavors are a family favorite. Quick meals like a Fiesta taco salad or Green Chile Taco Cornbread are regular rotations through my kitchen and it’s always received well by my hungry boys. This particular skillet is a one dish meal when topped with fresh lettuce, pico de gallo and chunks of avocado there’s really no other side dish needed except perhaps a helping of Spanish rice. The level of heat in this dish is easily adjusted to your taste by choosing what type of salsa you choose to use in the ground beef mixture as well as the taco sauce drizzled between the layers.
Start with quality ingredients add lots of cheese and the end result will be perfection. It’s reminiscent of a Mexican lasagna of sorts and sure to be a hit with the family.
You may also like: Chicken Tostadas with Poblano Cream Sauce, Mexican Lasagna with a White Sauce, Low Carb Mexican Lasagna, Southwestern Chicken Taco Lasagna, Barbecue Chicken Tostadas and Sriracha and Lime Roasted Cauliflower Tostadas.
Stacked Beef and Bean Tostada Skillet
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 cup medium thick and chunky salsa
- 1 1.25-oz packet quality taco seasoning
- 15 to stada shells
- 1 30-oz can refried beans
- 1 15-oz taco sauce
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese divided
- Shredded lettuce pico de gallo, guacamole, jalapeno slices, sour cream or crema for serving
- Preheat he oven to 350°F. Oil the bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast iron or deep oven safe skillet. Set aside.
- Drizzle a large skillet with olive oil. Add the beef, onion, garlic, garlic salt, lemon pepper and oregano Cook over medium high for 10 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Add the salsa and taco seasoning to the browned meat. Simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- To assemble: layer 5 tostadas on the bottom of the skillet overlapping. spread with 1/2 refried beans, 1/2 ground beef and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Repeat, 5 tostadas, spread with 1/2 refried beans, 1/2 beef and 1 cup cheese.
- Top with 5 tostadas leaving 1-inch border around the edge. (This will to allow taco sauce to drip into the skillet while baking).
- Pour taco sauce on top covering the tostadas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly around the edge and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Rest for 5-10 minutes then cut into wedges and serve topped with lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream and cubed avocado.