This easy layered Ravioli Casserole Recipe is simple enough for weekday family dinners, yet it’s impressive enough for casual entertaining.
Easy Ravioli Casserole Recipe
Typically, when you make ravioli, you cook them in boiling water on the stovetop and top with your favorite pesto, spaghetti or alfredo sauce. All of those are delicious options but this recipe give you the option of skipping the boiling, and goes straight to tossing everything into a casserole dish and baking it all at one time. It works like a charm, and takes out one step to expedite dinner preparation.
How to Make the Best Baked Ravioli Casserole Recipe
This homemade ravioli casserole is a family pleasing meal. It’s also terrific for entertaining friends since it can be fully assembled in advance, then baked just before serving.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe for Ravioli Casserole with meat sauce: Refrigerated four cheese ravioli, olive oil, onion, Italian sausage, dried Italian seasoning blend, garlic salt or plain salt, crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat, minced garlic, marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese. You’ll also need chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnishing.
- The ravioli don’t have to be precooked for this recipe.
- This recipe uses refrigerated, not frozen ravioli. Should you choose to use frozen ravioli, they do need to be thawed first.
- You can use mild or spicy Italian sausage for this recipe. Should you choose to use spicy, you may want to reduce or omit the red pepper flakes in the recipe.
- I prefer to layer the cooked sausage with the sauce and ravioli separately. This allows the sauce to soften and cook the ravioli evenly.
- You can use any flavor of ravioli that you enjoy. Spinach ravioli, prosciutto and ricotta ravioli or any other filling that your family enjoys. See how to make homemade ravioli here on Well Plated.
- You can adapt using your favorite flavor of marinara or spaghetti sauce.
- It’s best to arrange the ravioli in a single layer rather than dumping into the dish for even cooking.
- Keep in mind that ravioli will expand while baking so if it looks a little sparse, in this instance that’s a good thing.
- Store leftover ravioli casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
Southern Style Side Dishes to Serve with Ravioli Casserole
Salad is an easy side dish to accompany any pasta dish, isn’t it? A wedge salad would go beautifully with this casserole. Another side dish option is my panko Parmesan roasted broccoli or oven roasted asparagus. Add a loaf of cheesy garlic and herb bread or Italian herb beer bread.
More Delicious Casserole Recipes to Make
Casseroles are a fabulous choice for busy families. They help stretch bits and pieces of ingredients into a full meal and can often be assembled in advance for a timesaver. Other family pleasing casseroles you may enjoy:
- Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole will have them asking for more.
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Noodle Casserole is an easy way to enjoy the flavors of this French classic.
- Skillet Cowboy Rice Casserole is a once dish meal packed with flavor and color, too.
- Crock Pot Pasta Casserole can simmer while you attend to other things.
- Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole is a kid favorite!
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Ravioli Casserole Recipe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 1-2 tsp dry Italian seasoning adjust to taste
- 1 tsp garlic salt or plain salt
- 1/2-1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 20 oz package refrigerated four cheese ravioli
- 4 cups garlic, onion and oregano seasoned spaghetti or marinara sauce (Or your favorite)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided use
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and onion. Cook until no pink remains about 5-8 minutes.
- To the skillet add Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Stir well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain any excess fat.
- To assemble: Spread 1 cup sauce on bottom of dish. Arrange 1/3 ravioli over sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 cooked sausage and 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat process, ending with sauce drizzled over the top. (Reserve final 3/4 cup mozzarella and Parmesan cheese until end of baking.)
- To bake: Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 375°F. Uncover, sprinkle with reserved shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Continue to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted, bubbly around the edges and ravioli is tender.
- Let stand 5 minutes then serve garnished with parsley and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.