This easy Sloppy Joe Casserole recipe features the delicious flavor of sloppy joes topped with a buttery crust. It’s a mouthwatering way to enjoy downhome flavors in a family style meal.
Easy Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe
Warm hamburger rolls with filled with sloppy joe meat is one of those childhood meals that always makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. This casserole recipe takes the same familiar flavors and serves it up family style. The homemade ground beef filling is topped with cheddar cheese and sealed with refrigerated pizza dough brushed with melted butter. I like to sprinkle the top with sesame seeds for the full bun experience. It’s a fun dish to make.
How to Make the Best Sloppy Joe Casserole Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Sloppy Joe Casserole: Two pounds ground beef, onion, red and green bell peppers, olive oil or vegetable oil, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, seasoned salt, black pepper, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, shredded cheddar cheese, refrigerated pizza dough, melted butter and sesame seeds.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A 13 x 9 inch baking dish, large 12 inch skillet, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, large spoon, cheese grater, small bowl and pastry brush.
- Allow the sloppy joe mixture to simmer on medium and reduce slightly and thicken for 5-8 minutes after adding the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. This can be done up to one day in advance and placed into the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the casserole for baking. If you make this casserole with sloppy joe filling that’s been chilled you can warm it gently in the microwave prior to assembling or extend the bake time to be certain it heats all the way through.
- You can also freeze the filling for up to 3 months. Thaw, then make the casserole for a busy day shortcut meal.
- You could use one tube of canned biscuits or one tube of refrigerated French bread to top this casserole. Should you choose to use the biscuits, add them in the last 15 minutes of baking. If they’re jumbo flaky biscuits, consider tearing them though the middle and overlapping them slightly to cover the top. The French bread would be rolled, shaped and added the same as the pizza dough.
- You can swap out ground turkey or ground chicken in place of ground beef for this recipe.
- You could also use sliced cheese in place of shredded cheddar cheese. Cover the top completely with cheese breaking to fit. You’ll need 8-10 slices.
- Store baked Sloppy Joe Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes to Make
- Hamburger Steak with gravy and mashed potatoes is sheer comfort food.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is a one dish meal.
- Nacho Beef and Macaroni is a fusion dish that’s delicious served with a side salad and hot rolls to round out the meal.
- This Ragu Bolognese Sauce can be served over your favorite kind of pasta.
- Cozy up to a bowl of Chili with Beans for supper or game day snacking.
- These Root Beer Baked Beans are the perfect grilling side dish.
- Mexi Meatball Kabobs from Very Best Baking.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and deiced
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded and diced
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 13 oz can refrigerated pizza dough (i.e. Pillsbury classic crust or similar)
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil for 2 minutes to soften. Add ground beef, cooking over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain excess fat from pan.
- To the pan add crushed tomatoes, ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, seasoned salt, granulated garlic and pepper. Mix well, simmer for one minute or just until sugar has melted.
- Remove from heat and pour into baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Unroll pizza dough on a non stick surface and roll into roughly a 10x14 inch rectangle. Place over cheese forming an edge of dough around the dish.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Cut into squares, scoop and serve.