This Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole recipe features a flavorful cheesy beef filling topped with crispy tater tots. It falls into the category of tummy-filling one dish meals that won’t break the bank.
Easy Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Casseroles are frequent in our dinner rotation. They’re versatile and typically leave plenty of room to personalize the ingredients according to what I have on hand in my pantry. Whether I’m making chicken bacon ranch mac and cheese, supreme pizza tortellini bake for Italian night or cowboy rice, my family is certain to gobble them up.
How to Make Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole: Frozen tater tots, ground beef, diced onion, bacon, garlic, steak seasoning, salt and black pepper, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, cheddar cheese soup, dill pickle slices, colby jack or cheddar cheese and green onions for garnishing.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large 12 inch skillet or similar oven safe skillet, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, cheese grater, large spoon for stirring and serving.
- How many tater tots do I need to make this casserole recipe? When assembling this tater tot casserole remember to reserve enough tater tots to finish the top in the pattern that you desire. The actual number may vary slightly depending on the size and shape of the skillet or baking dish used.
- Do the tater tots stay crispy? The tater tots in the filling will soften but the ones on top will bake crispy and golden.
- Can I make the bacon cheeseburger filling ahead of time? Yes, the ground beef filling can be prepared in advance and chilled to expedite assembly.
- Can I use a different flavor of soup for the beef filling? You could. To add a kick to the overall flavor, substitute nacho cheese soup and pepper jack cheese in place of the cheddar cheese soup and shredded cheddar cheese called for in the recipe.
- Do I have to use a cast iron skillet to make this tater tot casserole recipe? I bake this casserole in my cast iron skillet, but you can make it in any similar size oven safe skillet or baking dish, of course.
- What’s the best steak seasoning to use? Use a quality steak seasoning that you already enjoy for the best flavor. You may adjust the amount using more or less, to suit your taste.
- Steak seasonings vary in the amount of sodium and garlic. Adjust amounts according to the brand you choose to use.
- Do I need to use a specific brand of tater tots? Any brand of tater tots will do. You can also use more than one 32 ounce package, if you prefer.
- This dish reheats beautifully either in individual servings in the microwave or in a 375°F oven just until heated through. Don’t overcook in the oven or the it may dry out.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes to Make
- For a time saver, I often cook make ahead ground beef using this Freezer Ground Beef technique o have it ready for weekday meals.
- This Cheesy Nacho Beef Rotini Skillet is delicious topped with your favorite taco fixings.
- Ground Beef Stroganoff can be served over egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
- One pot Beef Goulash comes together in no time for a hearty weekday meal.
- I love serving a big pot of this Chili Mac for game day snacking.
- My Beef Pot Pie recipe is topped with cheddar chive drop biscuits.
- Homemade Tater Tots from Restless Chipotle.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup plus 1/2 can milk
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup diced dill pickles
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 cups colby jack or cheddar cheese divided
- 1 32 oz package tater tots
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush the bottom and sides of a 12 inch cast iron skillet with olive oil. Set aside. (Alternately, spray a 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.)
- Cook bacon on the stove top in a large skillet until crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain, then crumble. Reserve 3 Tbsp drippings in skillet.
- Cook ground beef and onion in bacon drippings over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Add garlic cooking for 1 minute longer. Drain excess fat from pan.
- To the beef add Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well, remove from heat.
- Add soup plus 1/2 soup can of milk, sour cream, ketchup, dill pickles, mustard and 1/2 cooked bacon. Mix until fully combined.
- To assemble: Arrange 1/2 tater tots on bottom of skillet, top with 1/2 shredded cheese. Spread ground beef filling over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and cheese. Arrange reserved tater tots on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbly around the edges and tater tots are golden.
- Serve immediately garnished with green onion.