This downhome Hamburger Steak recipe is smothered with a rich and flavorful homemade onion gravy. Serve it with a side of mashed potatoes or buttered rice and it's a family feast.
Southern Style Hamburger Steak Recipe
We love our skillet meals in the South, and often this sort of protein based entrée comes with gravy. We also tend to find ways of turning less expensive ingredients into a meal time feast. Hamburger steak is one such example, and this recipe is smothered with a simple and rich, homemade onion gravy. It's a skillet meal that is guaranteed to hit the spot.
How to Make the Best Hamburger Steak Recipe with Onion Gravy
What's in Hamburger Steak? This Hamburger Steak recipe begins with ground beef. You can use ground sirloin or ground chuck. My preference is the leaner ground sirloin, 85/15 fat to meat ratio so the steaks will have a really tasty flavor and less shrinking while cooking.
- Other ingredients you'll need to make homemade Hamburger Steak Patties: You'll also need seasoned salt, bread crumbs, diced onion, granulated garlic or garlic powder, onion powder, large eggs, Worcestershire sauce or A1 steak sauce, and oil for frying. You can also use bacon drippings for frying.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large bowl for mixing the ingredients together, a sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons. a wooden spoon or similar for stirring the gravy, a spatula for turning the hamburger steak patties and a large skillet for frying.
- How do you make the best onion gravy? Onion gravy starts with butter, sliced onion, all purpose flour, beef stock 9or beef broth), salt and pepper and cream at the end to add a creaminess and richness of flavor. It's simple to make and ideal for smothering hamburger steak.
- If you prefer a classic brown gravy, you can omit the onion or use a packet or brown gravy mix if you're pressed for time.
- For make ahead preparation, you can fully combine the hamburger steaks ground beef mixture and form into individual portions. Place them into an airtight container and into the refrigerator covered and separated by wax paper, if stacking. This can be done a few hours or up to one day in advance.
- Can I add mushrooms to the gravy for Hamburger Steak? Yes, you can. You can add 8 ounces of fresh sliced mushrooms to the onions in the pan cooking until they've reduced and released moisture. Then proceed with the gravy recipe.
- Can I make Hamburger Steak without gravy? You absolutely can. You can serve these steaks as is, or topped with cheese and sautéed mushrooms, peppers and onions. Or, any of the aforementioned with a side of steak sauce.
- Storage options: You can store leftover hamburger steaks chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a saucepan over medium heat or in single servings in the microwave.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes to Make
Ground beef recipes are innumerable as it's such a versatile ingredient and has so many flavor options. Beef is a regular on my family's dinner rotation. Other easy ground beef recipes to try:
- See my tutorial for how to Make Ahead Ground Beef for Freezing for busy day meals.
- Easy and delicious Ground Beef Stroganoff.
- Teriyaki Beef Fried Rice doubles as a side dish and a main dish.
- Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole is a one dish meal.
- Salisbury Steak with Onion and Mushroom Gravy is another variation of this downhome favorite.
- You may also like this recipe for Burger Seasoning from Simple Joy.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Hamburger Steak Recipe (with Onion Gravy!)
- 2 lb ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion small dice
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (panko or fresh breadcrumbs)
- 1 ½ teaspoon seasoned salt may adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce or A1 Steak sauce
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced into wedges
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2-3 cups low sodium beef stock additional as needed to thin
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup light cream or half and half
- chopped Italian parsley for garnishing
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together ground sirloin, ½ diced onion, breadcrumbs, seasoned salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder, worcestershire sauce and eggs until fully combined. Divide into 4 even oval shaped portions about ¾ inch thick.
- Heat a few drizzles of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown hamburger steaks for around 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a platter.
- To make gravy: To the skillet add butter and sliced onion. Cook the onion over medium high for 2-4 minutes until it's softens and is beginning to brown. Scrape any brown bits from bottom of pan. Add flour, salt and pepper stirring to coat.
- Cook over medium for 1 minute then gradually whisk in stock. Bring to a gentle boil then whisk in cream.
- Add hamburger steaks back to the skillet, spooning gravy on top. Immediately lower the heat. Simmer on low uncovered for 5-10 minutes or just until juices run clear.
- Spoon onion gravy over hamburger steaks and serve garnished with parsley.