Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs are fall apart tender and bathed in a homemade spicy-sweet barbecue sauce. Once assembled, the slow cooker does the rest. it doesn't get any better than that.
Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs
These ribs were inspired by a family trip we enjoyed to Myrtle Beach SC where we visited a restaurant called 21 Main Prime Steakhouse. They featured a carefully crafted menu inspired by the house Chef who regularly rotated the selections being offered. During our stay, the Chef was featuring a signature dish of braised beef short ribs cooked in a tomato based sauce which he chose to serve over a bed of cheese grits. I knew I had to try them. I wasn't disappointed, they were so incredibly tender and delicious, I had to go back twice to enjoy them during our visit. They inspired me to come up with a slow cooker version to make them a bit easier to prepare at home. This slow cooker recipe was the result.
Slow Cooking Results in Tender Succulent Ribs
Slow cooking results in short ribs that are fall apart tender. It has the same effect when making slow cooked beef stew or slow cooked Dr Pepper barbecue beef. These ribs are perfection smothered in a flavorful sauce and then cooked low and slow all day long. I love serving these tender ribs over Parmesan cheese grits, just as they did at 21 Main. They are also quite tasty with a side of buttered rice or mashed potatoes. I highly recommend taking the time to brown them before slow cooking for the added depth of flavor it lends to these beef ribs. They're a special dish for a special occasion.
Other Slow Cooked Beef Recipe to Make
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew
- Dr Pepper Glazed Barbecue Beef
- Slow Cooked French Dips
- Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash from The Magical Slow Cooker
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
- Onion/Vegetable Chopper
- Serving Set
- Insulated Slow Cooker Travel Case and Carrier
Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 4 lb beef short ribs trimmed of visible fat [12 pieces]
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 10 oz can Rotel tomato Chili Fixin's
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 chipotle pepper plus 1 Tbsp adobo sauce
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire or soy sauce
- ¼ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- In a small bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, seasoned salt, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika and onion powder.
- Dust the short ribs on all sides with the seasoned flour.
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat a few drizzles of olive oil. Brown the ribs in batches over m medium-high heat on all sides until golden.
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer the ribs in the slow cooker.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a stand blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Drizzle over the ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until fork tender.
- When done, use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the ribs from the sauce.
- Skim the fat from the sauce, or chill and allow the fat to congeal on the top, then remove.
- Serve the ribs drizzled with sauce over grits, mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
- Optional: To char the ribs. place onto a baking sheet and brush with sauce. Broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes, if desired.