Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs – Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs are fall apart tender and bathed in a homemade spicy-sweet barbecue sauce. They were inspired by a family trip we enjoyed to Myrtle Beach SC where we visited a restaurant called 21 Main. They featured a carefully crafted menu inspired by the house Chef who regularly rotated the selections being offered. During our stay, the Chef was featuring a signature dish of braised beef short ribs cooked in a tomato based sauce which he chose to serve over a bed of cheese grits. I knew I had to try them. I wasn’t disappointed, they were so incredibly tender and delicious, I had to go back twice to enjoy them during our visit. They inspired me to come up with a slow cooker version to make them a bit easier to prepare at home. This slow cooker recipe was the result.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 6 Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
- Onion/Vegetable Chopper
- Serving Set
- Insulated Slow Cooker Travel Case and Carrier
Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 4 lb beef short ribs trimmed of visible fat [12 pieces]
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1  oz can Rotel tomato Chili Fixin's
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 chipotle pepper plus 1 Tbsp adobo sauce
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Rinse and pat dry the short ribs. Lay in a single layer on a piece of aluminum foil,
- In a small bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, seasoned salt, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika and onion powder.
- Dust the short ribs on all sides with the seasoned flour.
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat a few drizzles of olive oil. Brown the ribs in batches on all sides until golden.
- Spritz a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer the ribs in the slow cooker.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a stand blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Drizzle over the ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until fork tender.
- When done, use a slotted spoon to carefully remove the ribs from the sauce.
- Skim the fat from the sauce, or chill and allow the fat to congeal on the top, then remove.
- Optional: To char the ribs. place onto a baking sheet and brush with sauce. Broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes, if desired.
- Serve the ribs drizzled with sauce over grits, mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.