September 15, 2011 updated April 21, 2021
This Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak is simmered in a flavorful gravy along with green bell pepper, onions and baby portabella mushrooms. This style of down home steak and gravy is one of the best dishes to cook low and slow. It’s a spectacular dish to come home to, and sure to have the family asking for seconds.
Easy Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak Recipe
What is cube steak or cubed steak? I’m so happy you asked! The terms are often used interchangeably and they’re essentially the very same thing. Cube steak is actually top sirloin or top round that has been run heavily through a meat tenderizer machine leaving it filled with tiny holes called “cubing.” The meat isn’t only tender but the holes left behind from this process makes it even more inclined to absorb all of the seasonings. This cubed steak simmers all day in its own flavorful gravy making it one of those comforting “stick to your ribs” kind of dishes. Winter, Fall or of the year it’s a meal that always hits the spot.
Ingredients to Make Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak
To make this tender cubed steak with mushrooms, onions and bell peppers you’ll need:
- Steak – 6-8 pieces of cubed sirloin steak.this is roughly 2-3 pounds of cube steak.
- Breading – All-purpose flour seasoned with salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Olive oil
- Vegetables – Green bell pepper, sweet onion and baby portabella mushrooms.
- Sauce – Cream of mushroom and roasted garlic soup or classic cream of mushroom soup and low sodium beef broth.
- Seasonings – One packet Knorr Au Jus gravy mix and steak seasoning i.e. Chicago, Montreal or Meat Magic seasoning, you can use your favorite. Dried thyme plus salt and black pepper.
- A-1 steak sauce.
- Thickener – All purpose flour.
- Garnish – Flat leaf parsley.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooked Cubed Steak and Gravy
When slow cooking this dish, the steak becomes super succulent and tender. It becomes infused with the flavor of the gravy and seasonings. Making it in a crockpot makes it perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: One 6 quart or similar size slow cooker or crock pot, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and chopping board.
- If you have top sirloin or top round steaks on hand, you can also use a meat mallet to pound it for this recipe. Use the side with the meat tenderizer, not the smooth flat side for the best end result.
- After dusting with flour, I go the extra mile and browning the steak pieces on the stove top before layering in the slow cooker. If you’re sort on time, you may choose to skip the browning step. It adds another level of flavor that makes it worth the effort if time allows.
- You may omit, or add a different type and flavor of bell peppers to suit your taste or what you have on hand.
- You may also adapt using the variety of mushrooms that you enjoy. It’s all about simplifying dinner so don’t sweat the small stuff.
- The Au Jus mix contains ample sodium adding flavor overall. You can add more salt to your taste.
- You can use classic cream of mushroom or cream of mushroom with garlic soup for this recipe. Should you choose classic cream of mushroom soup, add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or granulated garlic for more flavor.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container chilled for up to 2 days. Gently reheat in the oven, covered with foil or at 50% power in the microwave. When reheating in the microwave, take care not to overcook the meat or it will be tough.
More Southern Style Slow Cooker and Crock Pot Recipes to Make
Slow cooking will never go out of style in my cookbook. The fix it and forget it way of making dinner is always a win for busy families. A few other recipes you may like to try:
- Slow Cooked Dr Pepper Barbecue Beef served on toasted kaiser rolls.
- Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs melt in your mouth.
- Smothered Crock Pot Pork Chops.
- Slow Cooked Asian Meatballs can be served over rice or with toothpicks as an appetizer.
- Tender Cranberry Orange Pork Roast is sure to impress.
- Slow Cooked Spaghetti Sauce simmers all day ending with a robust and comforting flavor.
- Crock Pot Round Steak Dinner from Recipes that Crock.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak with Gravy
- 2 1/2 lb cubed sirloin steak (6-8 medium-size pieces)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (Season with 1/4 tsp each salt, black pepper and smoked paprika)
- olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced
- 1 8 oz container sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom and roasted garlic soup OR classic cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 0.6 oz packet Knorr Au Jus gravy mix
- 2 Tbsp A-1 steak sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp steak seasoning blend i.e. Chicago, Montreal, Meat Magic
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp flour, plus additional as needed to thicken sauce
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Dust the cube steaks with flour seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of the steaks in olive oil for 1 minute per side then arrange in the bottom of the slow cooker. Do not cook through.
- To the pan, add soup, beef broth, au jus packet, steak sauce, parsley, steak seasoning and thyme. Whisk off the heat scraping all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Whisk in 1 Tbsp of flour. Taste and adjust the salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Arrange vegetables on top of steak, then drizzle gravy on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 -7 hours or until fork tender.
- Serve immediately over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
- The au jus gravy mix will likely have ample salt for this entire dish. Taste before adding any additional salt to your steak.
- You can use classic cream of mushroom soup or cream of mushroom soup with garlic for this recipe. Should you choose classic cream of mushroom soup, add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or granulated garlic for more flavor.
- Adjust the steak pieces according to how many servings needed.