This Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak is smothered with gravy, green bell pepper, onion and portabella mushrooms. This style of down home steak with gravy is one of the best dishes to cook in a slow cooker. It's a spectacular dish to come home to, and sure to have the family asking for seconds.
Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak with Peppers, Onions And Baby Bella Mushrooms
This dish is nostalgic for me in many ways, as my Mom made it regularly when I was a girl. So, for me it's true comfort food. I'm frugal at heart so I peruse the meat counter to find a less expensive cut of meat like cube steak and turn it into a meal fit for a king. At the same time it keeps my budget on track and fills-up the hungry eaters at my supper table.
What is Cubed Steak?
What is cube steak or cubed steak you may ask? It's actually top sirloin or top round that has been run heavily through a meat tenderizer machine leaving it filled with tiny holes called "cubing." The meat isn't only tender but the holes left behind from this process makes it even more inclined to absorb all of the seasonings.
- When slow cooking this dish, the steak becomes super succulent and tender. It becomes infused with the flavor of the gravy and seasonings.
- After dusting with flour, I go the extra mile and browning the steak pieces on the stove top before layering in the slow cooker. If you're sort on time, you may skip the browning step.
- You may omit, or add the types of peppers and variety of mushrooms that you enjoy, if preferred.
- It simmers all day in it's own flavorful gravy making it one of those comforting "stick to your ribs" kind of dishes. Winter, Fall or any day of the year it's a meal that always hits the spot.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Slow Cooked Smothered Cubed Steak
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 ½ lb cubed sirloin steak
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (Season with ¼ tsp each salt, pepper and paprika)
- olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced
- 1 8 oz container sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of mushroom & roasted garlic soup
- 1 ½ cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 0.6 oz packet Knorr Au Jus gravy mix
- 2 Tbsp A-1 steak sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp steak seasoning blend i.e. Chicago, Montreal, Meat Magic
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp flour, plus additional as needed to thicken sauce
- Spray the crock of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Dust the cube steaks with flour seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of the steaks in olive oil for 1 minute per side then arrange in the bottom of the slow cooker. Do not cook through.
- To the pan, add soup, beef broth, au jus packet, steak sauce, parsley, steak seasoning and thyme. Whisk off the heat scraping all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Whisk in 1 Tbsp of flour. Taste and adjust the pepper, if needed.
- Arrange vegetables on top of steak, then drizzle gravy on top.
- Cook on low for 6 -7 hours or until fork tender.
- Serve hot over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
The gravy mix will likely have ample salt for this entire dish. Taste before adding any additional salt to your steak