This slow cooked version of cubed steak is smothered in gravy, bell peppers, onion and portabella mushrooms. This style of down home steak with gravy is one of the best dishes to cook in a slow cooker. It’s nostalgic in many ways since my Mom made this regularly when I was a girl. So, for me it’s true comfort food. When slow cooking this dish, the meat becomes so succulent and tender and infused with the flavor of the gravy and seasonings. It’s a spectacular dish to come home to.
I’m frugal at heart so I peruse the meat counter to find a less expensive cut of meat like cube steak and turn it into a meal fit for a king. At the same time it keeps my budget on track and fills-up the hungry eaters at my supper table. What is cube steak or cubed steak you may ask? It’s actually top sirloin or top round that has been run heavily through a meat tenderizer leaving it filled with tiny holes called “cubing.” The meat isn’t only tender but the holes left behind from this process makes it even more inclined to absorb all of the seasonings. The steak pieces are dusted lightly with flour, browned on the stovetop and then layered in the slow cooker. It simmers all day in it’s own flavorful gravy. It’s one of those comforting “stick to your ribs” kind of dishes. Winter, Fall or any day of the year it’s a meal that always hits the spot.
Slow Cooked Cubed Steak with Peppers, Onions And Baby Bella's
- 2 1/2 lb cubed sirloin steak
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour seasoned with 1/4 tsp each salt black pepper and paprika
- olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced
- 8 oz baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 [10 3/4 oz] can cream of mushroom & roasted garlic soup
- 1 [10 1/2 oz] can low sodium beef broth
- 1 [0.6 oz] pkg au jus gravy mix [i.e. Knorr]
- 2 Tbsp steak sauce
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp steak or meat seasoning blend [i.e.Meat Magic]
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp flour for the sauce
- Set a 6 quart slow cooker on the low setting. Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Dust the cube steaks with flour seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a stove top pan on medium-high heat, brown both sides of the steaks in olive oil for 1-2 minutes per side then arrange in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the mushroom soup, beef broth, au jus packet, steak sauce and seasonings in the same stove top pan scraping all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Whisk in 1 Tbsp of flour. Taste and adjust the pepper, if needed.
- Stir together just until the flour and soup have dissolved then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Arrange all of the sliced vegetables on top of the steak, then drizzle the "gravy" on top.
- Cook on Low for 6 1/2 -7 hours until fork tender.
- Serve hot over rice, egg noodles or with a side of mashed potatoes.
The gravy mix will likely have ample salt for this entire dish. Taste before adding any additional salt to your steak
Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my website My name is Melissa, I’m a busy Mom, author, recipe developer, photographer, food writer and blogger. I’m passionate about creating delicious dishes to share with family and friends!