On busy oven days or during the holidays when cooking space is limited, this Slow Cooked Triple Cheddar Mac And Cheese is a tasty option. When it comes to slow cooking macaroni and cheese, there are literally 1000's of recipes. What do they have in common? Lots and lots of gooey cheddar cheese and this slow cooker variation is no exception.
Do Slow Cookers Really Cook Differently?
Oh yes, short answer is, they do. Cooking times can vary depending on the shape, size and age of the slow cooker you're using. The slow cooker I use to make this slow cooked mac and cheese, is a little different from the average slow cooker. The difference, is that the heat source is only on the bottom of the slow cooker. So, in the interest of full disclosure, I wanted to show you. When cooking in a conventional slow cooker, which is the type I most often use, the heat source is located on the bottom and the sides of the slow cooker. I've also prepared this in my conventional oval 6 quart slow cooker and it required very little to no adjustment in the cooking time.
Tips For Slow Cooked Triple Cheddar Mac And Cheese Success
Why do I mention this? Funny you should ask...I make a special effort to make sure all of my recipes are presented in a way that you can be successful recreating my dishes. In this slow cooker with the heat source on the bottom only, my mac and cheese cooks in around 2-2 ¼ hours on low. So, in a conventional slow cooker, I recommend you cook on low for 2 hours, and check the center for doneness. It may be completely cooked in that time. After testing a tiny bit from the center sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and keep warm until it melts. If the macaroni and cheese isn't completely cooked, you may need to increase the time by 30 minutes to 1 hour, based on how your slow cooker cooks.
Moving On to Other Helpful Tips
- When making this dish, you can certainly shake-up the flavor of cheese used.
- If you'd like to add a bit of heat, use pepper jack in place of one of the cheddars.
- Also, when whipping up the sauce make sure it's well blended and use a quality sour cream for the best results.
- For more mac and cheese to love checkout this Bacon Mac and Cheese recipe from Dinner from the Zoo.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Triple Cheddar Mac And Cheese
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cheddar cheese soup
- 8 oz sour cream Full fat works best
- ½ cup butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ½ cups of triple cheddar cheese divided
- Set your slow cooker on the low setting, and spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Parboil the macaroni in salted water for 6 minutes.
- While the macaroni is cooking, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together, the melted butter, evaporated milk, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, eggs and seasonings. Whisk until fully combined.
- After cooking the macaroni for 6 minutes, drain well. Add to the slow cooker
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni along with 3 cups of shredded triple cheddar cheese.
- Stir all of the ingredients together until the macaroni is coated and the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. After 2 hours, remove the lid and check the middle for doneness. If needed, add additional cooking time in 20-30 minute increments or until the macaroni is tender. (Time may vary slightly depending on how your slow cooker cooks)
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Replace the lid and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Keep warm until serving.