Southern Style Creamy Three Cheese Pimento Cheese Recipe
In my family, you'd be likely to find a tub of pimento cheese, in the refrigerator year-round. My Grandma's and my Mom kept it on hand for a quick sandwich spread or just plain snacking. I can remember especially loving it as a child on white bread with the crusts removed. In the cooler months, we grill it on sourdough bread as a grilled cheese sandwich, making it a spectacular accompaniment alongside a bowl of hot steamy soup. Regardless of how you choose to enjoy it, making it yourself is so much better than the store bought versions with the bonus of being super easy to pull off. Using three types of cheese in this recipe mixes it up a little, and makes it far more interesting and flavorful.
How to Make the Best Creamy Three Cheese Pimento Cheese
It wouldn't be a Summer picnic or party in the South without pimento cheese to slather on celery, crackers, pretzels or bread. Checkout these tips for making:
- What are pimentos? Pimentos or pimientos, are a small Spanish red pepper that's mild in flavor. It's the classic way to make Southern pimento cheese and what gives it the trademark flavor.
- Can I use pre grated Cheddar cheese? It's really best to use freshly grated cheese for this recipe. I highly recommend that you grate your own cheese and skip the bags of shredded cheese. You'll end up with a much more moist and flavorful end result.
- Can I use a different cheese combination? Yes, you can. This easy pimento cheese recipe utilizes colby, monterey jack in addition to sharp cheddar cheese. You can use the same amount of all cheddar or a variety of cheddar, if that's your preference.
- Can I make Southern three cheese pimento cheese ahead of time? Yes, you can make this up to 2 days in advance and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It's important to allow ample time for the pimento cheese to chill, so the flavors can fully marry. You can store pimento cheese for up to 5-7 days total.
- How are some ways to serve Pimento cheese? This pimento cheese recipe while simple, doesn't have to be reserved only for snacking. It can be used to top grilled burgers or chicken, turned into a pimento cheese blt wrap or a Southern style grilled cheese on homemade artisan white bread.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Cheddar Cheese Straws from Southern Living.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Creamy Three Cheese Pimento Cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded colby cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 4 oz jar diced pimentos drained [reserve 2 tablespoon of juice]
- 1 ½-2 cups real mayonnaise
- ¼ cup half and half optional
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, half and half and pimento juice until all lumps have completely dissolved. Start with 1 ½ cups of mayonnaise and reserve the rest to add later, if you'd like a smoother consistency.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Continue to whisk until the seasonings are fully incorporated. To the bowl add shredded cheese. Switch to a spatula, mixing well. Fold in pimentos.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to marry.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container chilled for up to 5-7 days.
umm obscene. so good. am hoping I can break this out when we can socialize again.
Thanks so much!
How long will this keep in the refrigerator? I can't wait to make this!
Hi Lisa, kept tightly sealed for 3-5 days. It won't last long, no worries. ☺
I've seen lots of pimento cheese recipes. Some have cream cheese in them and some don't. Yours doesn't include it. What is your thought on the cream cheese version? Doesn't cream cheese make it creamier? I haven't tried your recipe but would like to give it a shot. I've never made it without the cream cheese.
I've had pimento cheese in pretty much every form known to mankind and they all bring something to the table. That said, I prefer pimento cheese without cream cheese UNLESS it's a baked dip, as is reflected in my recipes both here and in my cookbook.
I have tried lots of different pimento cheese recipes through the years and never found a favorite...until now! This will be my "go to" recipe forever! Thank you Melissa.
Hi Jo, you sweet note made my day. I'm thrilled you love it a much as I do, thanks!
Hi Marion, I love this pimento cheese, and I'm happy to share it, thanks!
I plan to pass this on to my classmate. She bought and it was so salty until I couldn't really enjoy it. This looks like a winner. thanks for sharing and I look forward to other great recipes.
I know what you mean, cheese is a favorite for us, too. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by. ~ Melissa
Did someone say cheese! I think I was a mouse in a former life. I too remember always having this year around in the frig. sounds just like mom made.
Thank you Elizabeth, and thanks for stopping by for a visit. 🙂 ~ Melissa
Elizabeth in Texas
Miracle Whip has a different taste than mayo and changes the taste of the pimento cheese completely! Love the recipe, thanks for sharing.
I use mayo, but, of course, you could use Miracle Whip if you like. It's essentially the same thing.
And you use Mayo....not Miracle Whip? Hmm....growing up I thought Miracle Whip was mayonaise..
Miracle Whip the same as Mayo - Heavens NO!!! I've always used Hellman's because it's more like the homemade mayo my Mom used to make years and years ago. Lately I've tried Duke's for some recipe's like pimento cheese and it's good too - but Hellman's is the best!!