Sweet Potato Casserole With A Gingersnap Pecan Coconut Crust
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 4 oz whipped light cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup thawed orange juice concentrate [undiluted]
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Topping #1 Gingersnaps Coconut and Pecans :
- 1 1/2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Clean each sweet potato, and pierce three times with a fork/knife. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the oven and cool.
- When the potatoes have cooled enough to handle, peel each one and discard the skins. . Place the peeled potatoes into a medium size mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, butter, brown sugar, eggs, orange juice concentrate, orange zest, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Using a hand mixer, whip together until combined.
- Add one cup of heavy cream. Continue to whip until light and fluffy around 2 minutes.
- Spread the sweet potato filling into a 8 x 12 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Topping #1: Mix all of the topping ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Stir until evenly combined.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 325°F for 38-40 minutes or until the topping is golden.
- Keep a close eye on the topping, covering with aluminum foil if needed to prevent over browning.
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup [1 stick] cold butter, cubed
1 cup pecan pieces
Mix together the brown sugar, all-purpose flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles cornmeal. Mix with the pecan pieces, then sprinkle over the casserole before baking as directed in the recipe. Cook's note:
The sweet potato filling also freezes well when made up to 2 weeks in advance. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then top just before baking.