These easy sweet tomato glazed Stuffed Bell Peppers are served open-faced stuffed with a perfectly seasoned ground beef filling. Topped with a tomato glaze and shredded cheese, they're a delicious way to add farmstand goodness to the dinner menu.
Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
Stuffed sweet tomato glazed stuffed bell peppers were a regular rotation through our kitchen growing-up. We usually had a garden and when peppers came in, we enjoyed them to the last bite! For my stuffed bell peppers, I like to cut them in half lengthwise, because my experience has been that a lot of people prefer not to eat the entire pepper. So I nestle them side by side, over fill them and top them with a sweet and tangy tomato glaze. For the crowning touch, a sprinkle of Colby-Jack cheese. Stuffed bell peppers are down home good eats.
How to Make Southern Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Can I use only green peppers for stuffed peppers? Absolutely, you can use a variety as I did or only green bell peppers without any other adjustments. I used a variety of peppers for color. You may use any bell pepper you enjoy the most. You could also make these using poblano peppers.
- Is there an alternative to ground beef for stuffed peppers? You can make stuffed peppers with ground turkey, chicken, chorizo, Italian sausage or a vegetarian version using beans and corn.
- How do I slice the peppers? These easy stuffed peppers are open faced and the pepper is sliced from top to bottom. If you prefer, you can slice a potion from the top of the peppers and stuff them leaving the peppers whole. When doing so, slice a small piece from the bottom to stabilize them so they'll remain upright in the oven.
- How long do Stuffed Bell Peppers take to bake? Depending on the size, these peppers will take around 1 hour 15 minutes to bake.
- Please note, it's natural while the stuffed peppers are cooking that they'll release moisture. This helps to steam and soften the peppers while baking. I recommend removing them from the baking dish to a platter for serving leaving those juices behind.
- Can I use a different cheese to top the stiffed bell peppers? Absolutely, you can use whatever flavor of cheese you enjoy to top these peppers.
- Is there a sugar alternative? I have made the glaze for this stuffed peppers recipe using Truvia brown sugar blend and have found that it works very well for the glaze. Use it in the same amount place of light brown sugar, if desired.
- How do you reheat stuffed peppers? After baking, you can reheat stuffed peppers in the microwave in single portions.
Southern Side Dishes to Serve with Stuffed Peppers
If you need side dish inspiration, look no further we've got you covered! Checkout these recipes found in the recipe index:
- While the peppers bake make these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- The kids will love this Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese.
- Whip-up my Southern style Seven Layer Salad recipe and call it a meal.
- A Southern favorite, you'll love my recipe for Cracker Salad.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 3 extra large red, green or yellow bell peppers
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 oz extra lean ground beef
- 8 oz ground Italian sausage
- 1 ¼ cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies well drained [hot or mild]
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon barbecue seasoning [i.e. McCormick's Smokehouse Maple]
- 1 small sweet onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese divided
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Tomato glaze:
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon barbecue seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray an 12 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare the Peppers: Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the stems and seeds. Brush the exterior of the peppers with oil, or spray with cooking spray. Season the interior with a sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Place side by side in the dish.
- To make the Filling: In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together the ketchup and tomato paste until smooth. To the bowl add ground beef, Italian sausage, rice, diced tomatoes, barbecue seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, 1 cup shredded cheese, eggs, parsely, salt black pepper and cayenne. Mix well.
- Divide the filling evenly between the bell peppers.
- To make the Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and barbecue seasoning. Drizzle on top of each pepper.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, then sprinkle the reserved 1 cup shredded cheese on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the peppers are fork tender and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the baking dish with a slotted spoon and serve.
Melissa these are amazing and easy to throw together! I served with extra sauce ....I love the sauce on top! Thanks for sharing!
Hi Christine, I'm so happy you loved these definitely a personal fave. My pleasure!
these are great...even an old bachelor can make these and they are awesome!
Glad you liked this one, Richard!
Hi Amy, so happy you enjoyed these, we love them,too! Thanks so much for commenting. ~ Melissa
Made this last night to carry us for the next few days. I had to try one last night because they smelled so good. My husband and I shared one since it was late. They are delicious!
Hi Carol, thank you for your visit! I'll stop by soon. ~ Melissa
Carol | a cup of mascarpone
I love all the lovely ingredients you have in your stuffed peppers! They look absolutely delicious! I'm a new follower, would love you to stop by my blog sometime too, when you get a chance! Have a great weekend! Carol
Thanks Linda! 🙂
Another festive looking dish Melissa, and I love all the ingredients!