This recipe for Southern style Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese is for the mac and cheese fans at your dinner table. Double-up on the cheddar and it becomes this double cheddar extravaganza.
Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
This easy macaroni and cheese recipe is family and friends approved. I love entertaining friends and family and made this macaroni and cheese recently for friends that were visiting. I served this alongside saucy baby back ribs, root beer baked beans and festive layered Southwestern cornbread salad making it a downhome feast fit for a king. To me, there's nothing like good conversation and a delicious meal shared with friends and comfort food is always a winning choice for dinner.
How to Make the Best Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
When I plan meals for entertaining I often gravitate to pasta dishes. When I'm looking for classics to include on the menu homemade macaroni and cheese is a no-brainer, it's consummate comfort food. To make it, tender jumbo elbow macaroni is smothered in a made from scratch double cheddar cheese sauce turning it into my go-to side dish for practically any meal that I serve. Baked until the top is gooey and golden then it's ready to serve.
- When making this particular cheesy macaroni and cheese recipe I chose jumbo elbow macaroni just to switch things up a bit. You can use the same amount of classic elbow macaroni, if desired.
- Can I use other flavors of cheese to make macaroni and cheese? While the homemade cheese sauce for this recipe highlights two kinds of cheddar cheese, you can use monterey jack, gruyere, colby, colby jack, swiss or any flavor of cheese that you enjoy in the same amount.
- The Dijon mustard in the cheese sauce pairs beautifully with the sharp cheddar cheese and gives it an indescribable boost in flavor.
- For a time saver, you can assemble this easy macaroni and cheese recipe in advance, cover and chill in the refrigerator. It's a great time saver, and you'll have it ready to bake just before serving.
- When doing so, it's ideal to take 15-20 minutes to bring to room temperature prior to baking. If there's no time, adjust the baking time to accommodate giving it ample time to heat through and the cheese to become buttery and golden on top.
- Can you top macaroni and cheese with breadcrumbs? Yes, you can. Toss panko or fresh breadcrumbs with melted butter and sprinkle on top before baking.
- Store leftover Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Cheesy Southern Macaroni Recipes to Make
Add these macaroni and cheese variations to the menu soon.
- Crumb Topped Macaroni and Cheese Pie with Plum Tomatoes.
- Hot Dog Cheesy Macaroni Casserole always a hit with the kiddos.
- Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese for those busy days and you need a quick cheese sauce.
- Decadent Crab Macaroni and Cheese for the seafood fans in your life.
- Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta from Amanda's Cookin'.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 16-oz box jumbo elbow macaroni
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded medium yellow cheddar cheese
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp butter divided
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt may adjust more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz plain cream cheese softened room, temperature
- 5 cups whole milk or half and half
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well, pour into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix the shredded cheese together. Set aside.
- In a medium-size heavy bottomed saucepan melt ½ cup butter over medium heat.
- To the melted butter add the flour, salt, Dijon and black pepper. Mix until the flour has been absorbed by the butter stirring constantly.
- Increase the temperature to medium high and gradually whisk in the milk. Whisk constantly to prevent clumping. Bring to a boil then immediately lower the heat to low. Simmer for 3-5 minutes gently bubbling stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Turn off the heat. Add the cream cheese to the sauce. Stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat, add 3 cups shredded cheese mix. Stir until melted. Pour the sauce over the macaroni. Mix until evenly coated.
- Pour ½ into the baking dish. Top with 1 cup shredded cheese. Repeat with macaroni then top with the final 1 cup of shredded cheese. Dot the top with 2 tablespoon butter.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
It tastes delicious. There was non left.
I'm so happy you loved it, thanks!
Can you use the bags of pre-shredded cheese or should you shred a block of cheese?
I always prefer freshly grated cheese, but it's up to you.
I added ham chunks to it, it was amazing... Thank you for the recipe!!!!