Macaroni and cheese is consummate comfort food. Double-up on the cheddar and it becomes this Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese. To make it, tender jumbo elbow macaroni is smothered in a made from scratch double cheddar cheese sauce turning it into my go-to side dish for practically any meal that I serve. Baked until the top is gooey and golden then it’s ready to serve.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 16-oz box jumbo elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded medium yellow cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt may adjust more or less to taste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz plain cream cheese softened room, temperature
- 5 cups whole milk or half and half
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the macaroni in salted water per the package directions until al dente. Drain well, pour into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix the shredded cheese together. Set aside.
- In a medium-size heavy bottomed saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat.
- To the melted butter add the flour, salt, Dijon and black pepper. Mix until the flour has been absorbed by the butter stirring constantly.
- Increase the temperature to medium high and gradually whisk in the milk. Whisk constantly to prevent clumping. Bring to a boil then immediately lower the heat to low. Simmer for 3-5 minutes gently bubbling stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Turn off the heat. Add the cream cheese to the sauce. Stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat, add 3 cups shredded cheese mix. Stir until melted. Pour the sauce over the macaroni. Mix until evenly coated.
- Pour 1/2 into the baking dish. Top with 1 cup shredded cheese. Repeat with macaroni then top with the final 1 cup of shredded cheese. Dot the top with 2 Tbsp butter.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are bubbly.
- Serve immediately.