Warm and comforting this Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup makes an inexpensive and tummy filling meal. The broth is rich and flavorful and the toppings can be personalized to your taste. It's one of those flavor packed meals that's even better the next day.
Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup
Some days there's nothing more comforting to eat than a steamy bowl of soup. I can't think of a single type of soup that I don't enjoy. This chicken taco soup is another fantastic use for those plump, juicy rotisserie chickens I drool over at my local Costco. Those goodies an be transformed into so many quick meals that makes them well worth the purchase price. Entrees like Chicken Tamale Pie or Mexican Chicken Tortilla Casserole are two such examples. Likewise, you could also stretch leftover chicken from one meal into this soup as a round two dinner.
Tips for Making Chicken Taco Soup
- If you're a bit spice shy rest assured the creamy base tames the heat in the peppers but, you can adapt the type of pepper you use. It has an all-day flavor but, can easily be made in around 30 minutes.
- I like to serve this with our favorite taco toppings, and the flavors become even more robust with each passing day.
- This soup can be served on game day as an alternative to chili, or a 30 minute weekday meal.
- Another make-ahead option, is to prepare it on the stovetop, then pour it into your slow cooker to keep warm. On busy days and let everyone serve themselves. It has all of the makings of a fun homemade fiesta.
More Soup Recipes to Add to the Dinner Menu
Soup is a tummy filling budget friendly meal you can make any day of the week. More soup recipes to add to the menu:
- Classic Taco Soup using ground beef.
- Slow Cooked Vegetable Beef Soup is a tasty way to empty your vegetable bin so nothing goes to waste.
- One Pot Chicken Noodle Soup for the soul.
- Cheesy French Onion Soup.
- Italian Sausage Soup from Rachel Ray Mag.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Tex Mex Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 medium poblano and jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- olive oil
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 3 15 oz cans white cannellini beans
- 1 cup chunky salsa [Use mild,medium or hot, your preference]
- 1 16 oz can low sodium chicken broth plus additional as needed to thin
- 1 11 oz can Mexicorn
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp ground ancho chili
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 cup roasted or rotisserie chicken chopped
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Assorted toppings: Shredded cheese queso fresco, tortilla chips, chopped green onion, sour cream
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute the diced onion and peppers in a few drizzles of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes until they are beginning to soften and brown. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the cannelini beans, chicken broth, mexi-corn and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Cover then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the beans are tender.
- Add the lime juice, chopped chicken, cream cheese and chopped cilantro. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the cream cheese has melted and the chicken is heated through.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.