Chicken Tortilla Casserole This Week's Fiesta Supper
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Casserole Easy as 1-2-3
The flavors in the sauce really form the basis of what makes this dish so very tasty. If your family is a bit spice shy you can substitute by using bell peppers in place of the poblano. Likewise, if you'd like to add extra spice, there's certainly room to personalize. My love of Costco rotisserie chicken rounds out the filling and takes some of the prep work out of the meal prep equation.
Other Chicken Casserole Recipes to Add to the Menu
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Rectangular Baking Dish
- Professional Salad Shooter
- Non Slip Mixing Bowls
- Colorful Shallow Stoneware Salad/Dessert Dish Set
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz can chili style tomatoes
- 1 10 ¾ oz can fiesta nacho soup
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of chicken with herbs soup
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 ½ Tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 9 oz bags taco flavored tortilla chips
- 3 cups roughly chopped roasted chicken
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend divided
- assorted toppings: sour cream shredded lettuce, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium stove top pot, saute the chopped onion, red pepper, and poblano pepper in a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Cook until the softened and beginning to brown.
- After the peppers and onions have begun to brown, add the minced garlic and the canned chili tomatoes to the pot. Cook for 3-5 minute until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add chicken, half and half, soups and taco seasoning. Stir until well combined. Remove from heat and add one cup of shredded cheese. Mix well.
- To assemble: Layer tortilla chips in the baking dish. Arrange some of the chips around the sides of the dish to create a festive border. The chip layer should fully cover the bottom and sides of the dish, overlapping
- Pour the filling evenly over the tortilla chips in the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining one cup of shredded cheese.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with your favorite toppings.