What Is A Tamale?
Chicken Tamale Pie Is A Family Friendly Approach Tp Tamales For The Family
You may like to serve a delicious Roasted Mexican Corn or Easy Refried Beans along with this tamale pie. Just before serving, top it with pico de gallo, homemade salsa or spicy verde sauce would be delicious, too.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chicken Tamale Pie
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper chopped
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz light whipped cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 3 cups chopped roasted chicken
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp quality taco seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend OR Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 2 7.5 oz box corn muffin mix
- 1 cup cream style corn
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- pico de gallo for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 3 quart baking dish or oven safe skillet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the filling: In a stove top saute pan, over medium-high heat, cook the onion and jalapeno in a couple drizzles of oil until softened and are beginning to brown. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- To the pan add whipped cream cheese and salsa. Cook on medium-low just until the cream cheese has melted.
- Add half & half, chicken, cilantro, taco seasoning and seasoned salt to the pan. Stir just until the chicken is evenly coated with the sauce. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cup cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together corn muffin mix, cream style corn, buttermilk and butter until the ingredients are evenly moistened. Spread over filling. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are bubbly. Test the center with a toothpick looking for moist crumbs.
- Serve with fresh pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- Use mild, medium or hot salsa, your personal preference.
- This tamale pie may be served with a mole sauce drizzled on top just before serving.