Chicken Tamale Pie is a family friendly South-of-the-border inspired dish made with ingredients that are easy to find. A chicken filling is sprinkled with cheese then covered with a layer of cornbread and baked until golden. While it bakes, whip-up a batch of homemade pico de gallo to go on top and it's a homestyle fiesta that won't break the bank.
Chicken Tamale Pie a Riff on Tamales
Tamales are a traditional Spanish dish that are made using Masa, a starchy dough, usually corn based. The "tamal" is then boiled or steamed in dried corn husks. The flavor of a genuine, made from scratch tamale is truly out-of-this-world and one of our favorite Mexican dishes. They're often sold by street vendors in Mexico, and filled with pork or chicken and then served with a green or red mole sauce.
Chicken Tamale Pie a Family Friendly Tamales Recipe
This tamale pie, takes a simpler approach than hand made tamales cooked in corn husks but, it hits all of the same flavor points with a sweet and spicy explosion of taste. The cornbread topping is sweet, and the spice and traditional flavors are in the creamy chicken filling. In this dish, I used chicken instead of pork, but the flavor palate is still intense and uniquely Mexican.
Other South of the Border Inspired Recipes to Try
- You may like to serve a delicious Roasted Mexican Corn on the side.
- Flavorful and Easy Refried Beans goes perfectly with this tamale pie.
- Just before serving, top it with a generous serving of fresh pico de gallo.
- You may also enjoy topping this tamale pie with spicy verde sauce from Peas and Crayons.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Chicken Tamale Pie
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper chopped
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz light whipped cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup salsa
- ¾ cup half & half
- 3 cups chopped roasted chicken
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp quality taco seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend OR Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 2 7.5 oz box corn muffin mix
- 1 cup cream style corn
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- pico de gallo for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 3 quart baking dish or oven safe skillet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the filling: In a stove top saute pan, over medium-high heat, cook the onion and jalapeno in a couple drizzles of oil until softened and are beginning to brown. Season with salt and black pepper. Add the minced garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- To the pan add whipped cream cheese and salsa. Cook on medium-low just until the cream cheese has melted.
- Add half & half, chicken, cilantro, taco seasoning and seasoned salt to the pan. Stir just until the chicken is evenly coated with the sauce. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with 1 ½ cup cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together corn muffin mix, cream style corn, buttermilk and butter until the ingredients are evenly moistened. Spread over filling. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are bubbly. Test the center with a toothpick looking for moist crumbs.
- Serve with fresh pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- Use mild, medium or hot salsa, your personal preference.
- This tamale pie may be served with a mole sauce drizzled on top just before serving.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 1767mg | Potassium: 704mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 1086IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 397mg | Iron: 1mg