The Perfect Homemade Caramel Dipped Apples
Caramel and apples go together like strawberries and cream. I first shared this recipe for readers on Parade Magazine but, decided this year to add it to the MSSK recipe index so, you could easily find it. While both caramel and apples are certainly delicious on their own, when paired together the flavor is phenomenal. I can actually remember the first caramel apple I had as a girl and continue to love them to this day.
Caramel Apples Make Delicious Homemade Gifts to Share
We tend to gravitate to the caramel apple flavor combination more during the fall months but, they can certainly be enjoyed any time you like. They can also be personalized with a plethora of toppings options to give as gifts during the holiday season.
Tips for making:
- The sticks are readily available in the candy making section of most stores such as Target and Walmart. They can also be found at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby.
- I rolled these caramel apples in salted peanuts but, you can have fun with them and sprinkle with chocolate chips, crushed cookies and candies, toffee bits, peanut butter chips, M & M's, sprinkles and more.
- Regardless of your embellishment preference, it's imperative that you roll the apples in the toppings while the caramel is still warm and gooey for the best results.
- These apples should be store chilled but, allow time to bring them to room temperature for eating to allow the caramel to soften a bit.
- You can serve these apples sliced into wedges for sharing as a quick dessert or snack.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items
Homemade Caramel Dipped Apples
- 10 medium Granny Smith apples
- 10 wooden sticks
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped peanuts, mini chocolate chips, candy or sprinkles, use your favorite
- Wash and dry the apples, removing the stem. Insert a wooden stick into the center of each Set aside. Have nearby a large cookie sheet lined with wax paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a deep heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt together the butter, brown sugar, light corn syrup, dark corn syrup and salt. Stir constantly to prevent sticking.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk. Gently bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and cook until a candy thermometer reaches 225°F. Around 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add vanilla, stir until combined. Dip each apple into the caramel turning to evenly coat. Tilt the saucepan as needed. Spoon the caramel over the apples to evenly coat.
- Immediately dip in your preference of chopped peanuts, mini chocolate chips, candy or sprinkles.
- Place onto the cookie sheet. Chill until set.
- Bring to room temperature to allow the caramel to soften before serving. Store chilled.