Individual pies like these Caramel Apple Hand Pies are fun to make and even more fun to eat. The homemade filling is stuffed into refrigerated pie dough, brushed with egg wash and baked until beautifully golden. Enjoy them on the run or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an any time treat.
Caramel Apple Hand Pies
For these, pies, I prefer to cook the filling ahead of time and then fill the pie pastry when I'm ready to bake them. This gives us the option to grab and go or serve them warm with a scoop of scrumptious vanilla ice cream. You can use a homemade or refrigerated pie crust, depending on how much time you have to spend on preparation. If you have my cookbook, I have a detailed walk through of how to make pie crust successfully. If you don't, checkout this pie crust recipe to make it from scratch. Even though these little pies are designed to be held and eaten, there's always some premium vanilla ice cream nearby for the a la mode fans at our house. Okay, I'll level with you, that would be me. For most, they make superb little hand held treats on the go.
What are the Best Apples to Use?
I use the gold standard Granny Smith apples to prepare this pie filling. The tartness of a Granny Smith plus the fact it holds up well and maintains a pleasing texture when cooked makes it ideal. That being said, you could adapt using your favorite variety of apples or a mix of different types apples for the filling. That's precisely what I do when I make an apple crisp or slow cooker filled with homemade apple butter. The recipe will certainly still work but, the texture will be a bit different. When in doubt, follow the recipe for the very best results.
Other Apple Dessert Recipes to Add to the Menu
- Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls
- Caramel Apple Crisp
- Stuffed Crust Skillet Apple Pie
- Toffee Apple Pizza
- Baked Caramel Apple Fritters from Averie Cook's
Thank for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Apple Peeler and Corer
- Powdered Sugar/Cocoa Powder Dusting Wand
- Silicone Pastry Mat
- Aluminum Sheet Pan
Caramel Apple Hand Pies
- 2 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored & diced to equal 3 cups
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar divided
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon [or more to taste]
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 10-inch rounds pie crusts refrigerated or homemade
- 1 large egg beaten with 2 teaspoon water
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, cook apples, butter, brown sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Cook for 5 minutes to allow the apples to release their juice.
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir until the flour has been absorbed by the juice, then lower the heat and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until thickened and reduced. Remove from the heat and add vanilla. Cool completely. [I often made this the day before and refrigerate for a time saver.]
- To assemble pies: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll out the pie crust. Cut into 10 [5"] rounds re-rolling the scrap pieces as needed.
- Brush the edge of each round with the beaten egg wash then spoon 2 tablespoon of the filling onto one side of each round.
- Gently fold the dough over the filling, and press the edges together using a fork to seal.
- Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut a slit in the top of each hand pie, and brush with beaten egg wash.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden. Some of the filling, may ooze from the pies while baking.