Tres leches cake is a traditional Latin cake that is saturated with 3 different kinds of milk. It’s basically a sponge-like cake that soaks in the flavor of the 3 milk combination making it incredibly moist sitting in it’s own pool of creamy deliciousness. It’s made very much like our beloved poke cakes here in the South.
I love serving it with in seasonal berries, and to put my own spin on it, a little rum and nutmeg to expand the flavor profile making it even more interesting. It’s a terrific make ahead dessert that’s creamy and rich.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Tres Leches Cake
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg divided
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1 cup [2 sticks] butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar. divided
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract divided
- 2 1/2 tsp pure rum extract divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1  oz can evaporated milk
- 1  oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 1/2 cup heavy cream divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 inch metal pan or spritz with baking spray. Sift together the all purpose four, baking powder, salt and 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar with the egg yolks, 2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp rum extracts. Cream for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately to the creamed butter and sugar with the buttermilk.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form then fold into the cake batter by hand. Pour evenly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Rest for 20 minutes. Poke holes over the top of the cake with a fork or wooden skewer.
- Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp rum extract, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg.
- Pour 1/2 over the cake allowing it to seep into the cake, then pour the remaining on top.
- Cool to room temperature then cover and chill overnight.
- To serve, whip together the remaining 2 cup heavy cream with 1/4 cup granulated sugar, more if desired, and 1/2 tsp rum extract.
- Frost the top with the whipped cream, dust with nutmeg and serve with seasonal berries.
- Store chilled.