This fresh and crunchy Waldorf Chicken Salad is a fantastic way to up your chicken salad game. It's chocked-full with rotisserie chicken, sweet chunks of apple, red grapes, chewy golden raisins, crisp celery and toasted walnuts all beautifully combined with a homemade dressing. Serve it in wraps, on croissants or on a simple bed of lettuce for a spectacular light meal or for busy day snacking.
Easy Waldorf Chicken Salad Recipe
Chicken salad has many faces and often the direction I go depends on how I'm serving it. This particular variation is fun for warm weather snacking and during apple season when apples of all varieties are in abundance. When planning meals for my boys I can never go wrong making Southern Style Chicken Salad for lunches or serving as an appetizer with crackers. When I'm looking to add a little heat to an occasion, I'm likely to whip-up a batch of Curried Chicken Salad. A seasonal chicken salad with cranberries and almonds is always a hit around the holidays. In this variation, I use toasted walnuts in line with a classic Waldorf salad but, you can certainly use pecans or almonds if it's your preference. Likewise, you can personalize it using your favorite variety of apples and the end result will be spectacular.
How to Make the Best Waldorf Chicken Salad Recipe
So, how is this chicken salad different from traditional Waldorf Salad? In this fruity variation on traditional chicken salad I chose to use toasted walnuts in keeping with a classic Waldorf salad. That said, you can certainly use pecans or almonds, if it's your preference. Likewise, you can personalize it using your favorite variety of apples and the end result will be spectacular.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Waldorf Chicken Salad recipe: 3 cups cooked and chopped chicken, celery ribs, diced apples, red grapes, golden raisins, mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, balsamic vinegar, salt or garlic salt, lemon pepper and toasted and chopped walnuts. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the dressing then toss with the remaining ingredients. Chill until serving.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A baking sheet ot toast the walnuts, sharp knife and cutting board, an apple corer, large mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons.
- This recipe works well with either Granny Smith or Gala apples.
- You can use rotisserie chicken, poached chicken, roasted chicken or leftover grilled chicken in this recipe. When doing so, consider the seasonings used initially on the chicken and make adjustments as needed.
- This salad can be made one day in advance and chilled in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Store leftover Waldorf Chicken Salad chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days total. I don't recommend freezing this salad.
More Southern Style Chicken Salad Recipes to Make
- For snacking and light meals try this baked Hot Chicken Salad recipe served with crackers or bread for dipping.
- A holiday favorite Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad.
- Our favorite Southern Style Chicken Salad.
- Curried Chicken Salad makes a tasty appetizer served in tiny filo cups.
- Polynesian Chicken Salad is served atop fresh greens for a delicious meal that's good and good for you.
- Crunchy Apple Salad from Taste of Home.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Waldorf Chicken Salad
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- ½ cup Real Mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt or garlic salt
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leaves small dice
- 3 medium apples (i.e. gala or Granny Smith) bite size cubes
- 1 cup red grape halves
- ½ cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast or 6-8 minutes until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, vinegar, lemon pepper and salt until combined.
- Add the walnuts, chicken, celery, apples, grapes and raisins. Toss until coated.
- Chill in an airtight container for up to 2 hours. Serve on lettuce leaves.